South Western Carpet Python Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey was just wondering if any other one has a girl SWCP that is quite active lately?

Four year old girl laying her first clutch, looking like a small clutch. Yallingup local animal for those interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 150
Four year old girl laying her first clutch, looking like a small clutch. Yallingup local animal for those interested.

Which male did you put over her? Nice healthy looking eggs. I had two clutches this year, was aiming for three though.
Is your black animal male or female? Noticed a fairly dark male for sale on gumtree. Be good to see someone line breed the black animals.

Which male did you put over her? Nice healthy looking eggs. I had two clutches this year, was aiming for three though.
Is your black animal male or female? Noticed a fairly dark male for sale on gumtree. Be good to see someone line breed the black animals.

I paired her with an interesting coloured male I originally got as a yearling from Jamie, a bit of a lottery to see what is hidden in the genes with first time breeding. I can say with the black animals and line breeding is watch this space, very excited to have sourced a very promising (and very black) female for the black male I already have, patiently waiting for quarantine to be over and looking towards next season already! She is not as black as the male, but has a lot of black on her underbelly and in places the male is a bit lighter.

What did you pair up this year?

I paired her with an interesting coloured male I originally got as a yearling from Jamie, a bit of a lottery to see what is hidden in the genes with first time breeding. I can say with the black animals and line breeding is watch this space, very excited to have sourced a very promising (and very black) female for the black male I already have, patiently waiting for quarantine to be over and looking towards next season already! She is not as black as the male, but has a lot of black on her underbelly and in places the male is a bit lighter.

What did you pair up this year?

Cool. Be good to see what you produce. It's an exciting project!

I didn't pair anything out of the ordinary this year. Just normal looking animals. Nice, but normal. I have some juvies I cant wait to breed, but could be another year off still. Ended up with 38 healthy eggs....

My two SWs
attachment.php

attachment.php

My two SWs
attachment.php

attachment.php

Interesting head pattern on the last pic. They look like mid west local, only unusual pattern.

- - - Updated - - -

A mate sent me this pic. Love the mid west locals.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look a bit like gammon ranges locale carpets, colourwise. Very nice. Are they any particular locale [MENTION=29286]Serpentaria[/MENTION]?

One of my girls.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They look a bit like gammon ranges locale carpets, colourwise. Very nice. Are they any particular locale @Serpentaria?
Easy to ID (as Imbricata) if she gives us a close up of the head scales. It certainly doesn't look like a SWCP head from the pics.

Easy to ID (as Imbricata) if she gives us a close up of the head scales. It certainly doesn't look like a SWCP head from the pics.

Do they have a different scale count or look compared to other carpets?

They yellow in the pattern is really beautiful. I would love to own some SWCP.

Do they have a different scale count or look compared to other carpets?

They yellow in the pattern is really beautiful. I would love to own some SWCP.

Yeah different scale count.
I don't know if it works with the other sub species.. But I tell the difference between SWCP and NWCP because the SWCP doesn't have a suture in the nasal scale.

That's interesting. I don't own and carpets so can't really comment on the other subspecies but there is a good head shot of a gammon ranges to compare.

Southern Cross Reptiles - Gammon Ranges Carpet Pythons

There appears to be a bit if confusion as to whether these should be classed as MD or not.

Stole the topic of murry darling from google. See the suture from the nostril to the back of the nasal scale? On the Imbricata (bellow that pic) it is absent.

Thanks Snowman. It would not surprise me if in the future both bredli and SWCP are both raised to full species status instead of subspecies.

They look a bit like gammon ranges locale carpets, colourwise. Very nice. Are they any particular locale @Serpentaria?
Yes they are Gammons, but they are genetically classified as Imbricata, even if they are the Eastern cousins of the SWs, I still think they are nice animals, I have not been able to get hold of any true western SWs yet so I will have to settle for these ones.

Thanks for the info. IMO Gammons are very nice looking carpet pythons. There are a few people line breeding for high red animals which are stunning. They seem to be very underrated.

I thought they were classed as metcalfei rather than imbricata.

Thanks for the info. IMO Gammons are very nice looking carpet pythons. There are a few people line breeding for high red animals which are stunning. They seem to be very underrated.

I thought they were classed as metcalfei rather than imbricata.

Yes definitely not classed as imbricata... If you want some imbricata I can help you out @Serpentaria.

There has been genetic studies done which indicated that the gammon ranges population is actually more closely related to imbricata than metcalfei. Which makes sense, as there are imbricata on eyre peninsula and gawler ranges in SA, which is geographically closer to the gammons than the riverland, so I guess you could call them an intergrade between the two subspecies, but in reality, as has been said before by others on this forum, it's a continuous population, which doesn't conform to the clear cut subspecies which have been assigned by scientists to the major different forms... Much like the whole diamond/coastal/intergrade debate.

There has been genetic studies done which indicated that the gammon ranges population is actually more closely related to imbricata than metcalfei. Which makes sense, as there are imbricata on eyre peninsula and gawler ranges in SA, which is geographically closer to the gammons than the riverland, so I guess you could call them an intergrade between the two subspecies, but in reality, as has been said before by others on this forum, it's a continuous population, which doesn't conform to the clear cut subspecies which have been assigned by scientists to the major different forms... Much like the whole diamond/coastal/intergrade debate.

Have you got links or copies of such studies? I tend to agree with Redfox that the south west carpet imbricata will one day be full species.

- - - Updated - - -
And don't tell me Simon Stone. I want to see the articles he talks about. Being closely related doesn't mean it is... When selling snakes either its imbricata or its not.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back