South Western Carpet Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
I realise that WA has these legal rules about importing/exporting, but why is it so hard to get hold of just one type of snake? I have a list of the differnt types I am after for my classics collection to try out for breeding and have these on my list, both the inland and coast locality types that SW pythons have. Been looking but no one seems to want to sell to NSW. I wonder why that is, especially when you have all these other types of WA pythons around, olives, antaresias, asperidites etc

As far as I know they cannot be exported. Never seen any on here outside w.a.
Shame though cause there amazing.
They indeed CAN be exported to the eastern states! BUT this is not a cheap exercise when you take into account
the $180 export permit fee for a start and then add the freight plus the cost of the critter. This puts the majority of people
off buying from WA. Personally if you are a serious keeper and are after a certian animal this should not matter!

Last edited:
I haven't even hit my first year of as a reptile owner and already have a small collection worth over $3000, is that serious enough? I am planning on doing breeding but feel I need to try all types before deciding what I will work with and this includes owning each type of carpet python to look at their different temperaments and habitats etc. And before anyone says this, I am not in it for the money, I just want the experience as well as working with colours and genetics, seeing what I can do with my past knowledge of science and also artistic taste!

The export permit fee of $180 covers 3 animals also. SW carpet hatchlings start at 500 or so usually too over here.

The export permit fee of $180 covers 3 animals also. SW carpet hatchlings start at 500 or so usually too over here.

It actually covers the first 5 animals and any after that on the same permit is another $10 per animal.

Theyre available, you just have to cough up the quids. For me as a private breeder its not worth the hassle of export permits and organising transfers for one animal but in multiples it isnt as big of a deal.

$3000 worth of animals is chicken feed over here, people are still paying up to $1500 each for carpets.

Yeah I noticed. I will leave them off my list till absolute last and start breeding other carpets first. Maybe after that, someone over in WA might want to swap for something I have.

The biggest problem is we cant sell keeper to keeper. To sell you some of my SWCP hatchlings I'd need to find a dealer who will make the transfer. If it was as simple as me doing the paper work I'd sell you a pair. But trying to organize a dealer is too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I noticed. I will leave them off my list till absolute last and start breeding other carpets first. Maybe after that, someone over in WA might want to swap for something I have.
People in WA will not be able to swap with you as they are not allowed to import pythons into WA!

@ Snowman. You mean like an escrow agent?

@Stimigex. Hopefully by the time I am ready to get one, the laws will have changed! I kind of feel sorry for WA python owners, not being able to experience all of what this beautiful breed has to offer in terms of ownership.

Also extremely difficult to differentiate between inland and coastal types, if anything maybe Northern and Southern types however there is so much variation across the range it's almost impossible unless you get wild caught from someone reputable, there is a couple of breeders in the eastern states but I can't recall the names.

@ Snowman. You mean like an escrow agent?

No..
To sell a reptile in WA you need to transfer the animal through a dealer. Dealers are the only people who can sell or move animals from keepers. The dealers license is $1000 a year and you need a to register a place of business to obtain a dealers license. So if I wanted to become a dealer and sell from home the animals that I bred, I'd need to register my home as a place of business. This would involve council permission, neighbors consent and would affect my house and contents insurance as it is no longer considered strictly residential. How’s that for crazy just to sell your clutches? All too hard.... so we can take our animals to a dealer and the dealer takes our license number puts it on his records then transfers the animal to the new owner and puts their license number on his records..
There are 26 licensed dealers in WA. When you look at the size of WA it's like Vic, NSW and QLD rolled into one. The distances are enormous. So how does 26 dealers cover an estimated 4000 (dec estimation) keepers? It's the worst system in the world.

A few in this group too.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/groups/south-western-carpet-python-keepers-280/

Last edited by a moderator:
Elapidae1, if you can remmber anything at all about the breeders then PM me, I'd be interested to know, even if they are anywhere outside of WA. I have not started getting snakes outside of NSW yet, but I will soon enough as I am in talks with SXr for soem of their Gammons. Pity they don't have SWs too.

And Snow, yeah I would have to agree, that system really sucks rat balls. I wish all of you WAers the best of luck in the hopes it changes for the better some day, and some day soon at that!

Out of a point of interest, do you get a good deal at all with the dealers, or is it like going to a pawn shop where you get less than 50% of the market value etc and then they turn around and sell at a higher price making a tidy profit for themselves and you wanting to guage their eyes out?

Last edited:
Some of the dealers are great, but many are pet shops and the prices reflect this. That being said even at the cheaper end of the scale 400-500 for the snake + $180 for export licenses etc they're always going to seem expensive.
Most of the dealers charge around 50 bucks as a transfer fee and sometimes a private seller will be able to assist in arranging this.

I thought Gammons were imbricata.

The member above may be worth contacting

This is my SW, I'm looking at getting a much tanner based animal with black patterning to pair with mine.
af25b60b-c952-e48f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back