Southern Angle headed ate bark

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by 007_lizards, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007_lizards

007_lizards Not so new Member

Southern Angle headed ate substrate

Hi all,

I was feeding my SAHD's the other day and while they were eating I saw one of them miss the cricket he was after and accidently got eat a piece of the substrate which is currently a product called "Repti Bark". I tried to get it out of his mouth but I was unsuccessful and eventually he swallowed it. I am worried that this might cause impaction and I am wondering about what will happen and what can I do about it now? It also looked difficult to swallow because of its size. This is the first time I have actually seen one eat some of the substrate.
    Both of them are just under one year old and are approximately 8 cm SVL. They are both active and alert.

This also makes me wonder what do other people use as substrate for their Southern Angle headed dragons?

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. mad_at_arms

mad_at_arms Very Well-Known Member

Although I don't keep SAHD I would be using coco peat as a substrate to minimise the risk of impaction with them.
    Keep an eye out for sluggish behavior with the one that ingested it and make sure to keep fluids available to help it pass the bark.

My bearded dragon once ate a foam nerf gun bullet (minus the rubber tip) and managed to pass it whole.

3. Crazycow232

Crazycow232 Active Member

thats crazy, as in like awesome crazy, but it could have been bad aswell

4. Beans

Beans Guest

Should just use newspaper. Eliminates all the worry

5. Darken

Darken New Member

We use coco peat form bunnings (without the added fertilizer) never had an issue with impaction.

6. KaotikJezta

KaotikJezta Very Well-Known Member

Plotting world domination from the depths of Hellb
    SAHD would not be happy on newspaper. Mine usually spit the substrate out. Keep an eye on him and change to cocopeat as suggested. If it happens in future don't try and make it drop it as that quite often has rhe reverse effect.

7. Thelizardqueen

Thelizardqueen New Member

I keep and breed Angleheads and I use coco peat. You can buy it for like $2 at bunnings warehouse. They eat it by mistake sometimes but it has no negative impact. Don't put newspaper in the tank. I honestly don't recommend newspaper for any enclosure because of the ink. Until they're a year old you should be using paper towel to minimize the risk of infection and then starting using coco peat. If you're worried take your dragon to the vet.
    I hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as for sluggish behaviour: SFDs are no where near as active as beardies are. They are less active and they play dead as a defense mechanism. I swear they spend 90% of their time chilling on branches and contemplating the meaning of life. I put up pictures of Jim Carey as Ace Ventura: Pet Detective to entertain them and give them other things to think about because I find that if you think to much about why you're here you're bound to go insane.

8. 007_lizards

007_lizards Not so new Member

So far they are fine and I have seen some poos since the incident so all must be good.
    Thanks for all the advise from everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.