Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko75

Banned
Reaction score
Just another of my recent herp threads, put them up else where and decided to put them up here just for anyone who missed out or doesn't use other forums. enjoy

Have been lucky enough to have spent the last 3 nights in the south east brigalow belt of queensland, found about 30 species, went to a few places, was very hot, and also rained one of the nights, anyway, here is what we saw, will put a bit of story with each species, no locations sorry, most of the place is cleared which is a shame, can see why so many species are rare in these areas. I photographed pretty much everything I saw, if there is no pictures it means it was to quick for me or was dead. can put up full body shots of most animals on request though I didnt want to flood this thread with hundreds of pictures so I am just putting up a shot of each, though I have many more.
Geckos
Diplodactylus steindachneri
seen on the roads at night
P1150095.jpg

Diplodactylus vittatus
P1150089.jpg

Gehyra dubia
seen on the roads at night, and on trees and buildings
P1150070.jpg

Heteronotia binoei
seen under sleepers and tin and also on the roads at night
P1150043.jpg

Strophurus taenicauda (R)
Seen on the roads at night
P1150110.jpg

Pygopus schraderi
P1150079.jpg

Skinks
Cryptoblepharus sp
seen on trees and buildings
P1150069.jpg

ctenotus sp
seen active in the day
Ctenotus robustus (?)
seem under sleepers and active in the day
Egernia rugosa (V)
seen active in the day
P1150068.jpg

Egernia striolata
seen on logs and trees
Morethia boulengeri
seen active in the day
Tiliqua rugosa
seen dead on road
Tiliqua scincoides
seen under sleepers and dead on road
P1150040.jpg

Goannas
Varanus gouldii
seen active in day and dead on road
P1170197.jpg

Varanus panoptes
seen active in day
P1160136.jpg

Dragons
Amphibolurus burnsi
seen on stumps and on the ground
P1170198.jpg

Pogona barbata
seen on stumps and on the ground
P1150047.jpg

Elapid Snakes
Denisonia devisi
seen dead on the road
Furina diadema
seen crossing the road at night
P1160158.jpg

Pseudechis australis
seen on roads at night
P1140020.jpg

Pseudechis guttatus
seen on road at night
P1150116.jpg

Pseudonaja textilis
seen on road at night and dead on road
P1150104.jpg

unidentified snakes
seen crossing roads which escaped before we were out of the car.
We also got heavy rain on one of the nights, we saw a few frog species sorry no ID's to them, I added them then figured out I put them all in the wrong spots so I gave up and took them out again.
P1160184.jpg

P1160179.jpg

P1160176.jpg

P1160171.jpg

P1150097.jpg

P1140034.jpg

P1140030.jpg

P1140011.jpg

P1140009.jpg

P1140005.jpg

P1140003.jpg

On the way to the brigalow we drove through the granite belt and had a quick look at a few spots near the road, we managed to see cunninghams skinks, tree skinks, boulengers morethia and nobbi dragons. Anyway, after the 3 nights at th brigalow, we decided to head down to Girraween national park for the night, we arrived late in the afternoon, a few species were seen there over the afternoon, night and next morning before we left. I noticed a lot of the animals that are not usually rock dwellers used this type of habitat at the park, every single animal I saw would use a crevice to hide or go under a rock bar the single red bellied black snake and a few of the ctenotus and small skinks, anyway here are the pictures.
Chelodina longicollis
was seen crossing a road on the way
P1170206.jpg

Snakes
Cryptophis nigrescens
We saw a large individual hunting geckos on one of the walks near the camp, it would stick its head into crevices then come out and move to the next one, when I approached he went straight into one and I was unable to get pictures
Pseudechis porphyricus
I spotted this on one of the walks, my mum and brother walked right past it and stepped about a foot away from it, as I was last I spotted it, it sat still for a bit then slide off straight into a hole, I didn't manage to capture any good pictures as I didn't have my camera ready
P1180271.jpg

monitors
Varanus gouldii
my mum spotted this near the creek, I got very close, within a foot and got a few shots before he started to move
P1180279.jpg

Geckos
Gehyra dubia
these geckos were common all over the place, the most common gecko we saw
P1170211.jpg

Oedura leusuerii
we saw a few of these at night on rocks
P1170230.jpg

Oedura tryoni
we saw a few of these, there noise usually gave them away as they walked through the leaves
P1170219.jpg

Saltuarius wybera
We saw two of these geckos, they are a lot similar to the leaf tails I find where I am, these are only found within the wyberba area hence the name
P1170220.jpg

Dragons
Amphibolurus muricatus
these were seen a few times on walks
P1180233.jpg

Amphibolurus nobbi
we saw a lot of these aswell, one was very defensive when cornerned, he sat there with his mouth open and up on his legs when he knew it was no use escaping as his area had no good hiding spots
P1180259.jpg

"Defensive"
P1180257.jpg

Physignathus lesueurii
we saw two of these near the creek, I didn't manage to capture any pictures as the two were very shy
Skinks
small skink sp, probably morethia or carlia
seen in leaf litter
Ctenotus taeniolatus (?)
seen in leaf litter
Ctenotus robustus (?)
seen in leaf litter
Egernia cunninghami
these were very common in the park, usually near large crevices
P1180245.jpg

Egernia mcpheei
common on rocky areas, we saw 3 young ones together but they all ran when I got the camera out, we saw many adults aswell, they seemed to like the lower areas of the park
P1180263.jpg

Eulamprus martini
one of the most common species, they were everywhere
P1180267.jpg

Eulamprus quoyii
seen along the creek
P1180281.jpg

Ornate burrowing frog
P1170209.jpg

A red crayfish
P1180284.jpg

I was happy to see minimal damage, I did notice a few up turned rocks and broken rocks, this was taken right near a walk, as you can see people have trampled a lot of them, and others have been turned, what usually gives them away is the fact that there is a big pale spot on the rock next to a rock with a pale bottom, this type of stuff annoys me, please put rocks back if you turn them and make sure you are very carefull not to chip them, crack them or squash inhabitants, also remember its illegal to do this in a national parks, though a lot of this is not herpers, just careless people who walk all ovet the rocks, which means they are broken, I think it would be great if they put a board walk type thing accross areas like this or just signs saying not to go off to path, as its very fragile and takes thousands of years to form, and a few seconds to destroy!
P1180289.jpg

P1180288.jpg

The park had great views from the top of the pyramids
P1180247.jpg

P1180246.jpg

Thanks, hope you enjoyed my pictures.

thanks gecko, apoloogies for no paragraphs, when I copied it accross it seemed to remove all of that. I also arrived home a week ago, not today, but I can no longer edit out that bit saying I just spent the last 3 nights. thanks, apoligies also for no common names, I cannot add them now, I know all the other field herpers will know what they are, but if anyone with not as much knowledge is curious as to what someone is just ask!

Thanks Bretsta.

has anyone got an ID for the Cryptoblepharus skink I found. it has been split so much so I am not even going to attempt looking it up in my book, think this is one for eipper.

Enjoyed your presentation immensely. Thanks for all the hard work.

WOW !!

Looks like an amazing trips and such a variety of herps! Thanks alot for sharing.

Scott which one is C pannosus? the cray? thanks.

the cryptoblepharus is pannosus

the cray is a Euastecus Adsell would know the species

Cheers,
scott

so cray is E. suttoni? are the red ones and the blue ones that are found down here on mid north coast the same species? I have no idea when it comes to things like them. the cray was strange cause it was the middle of the day and I said something to my brother about crays biting our toes in the murky water then we looked over and saw the red thing walking along, I am glad I didn't end up with one of them latched onto my toes.

thanks Jason, checking out the link now, didn't know there were so many species, suppose its the same as herps.

thanks Jason, checking out the link now, didn't know there were so many species, suppose its the same as herps.

lol, and just like reptiles they have split them all up, just noticed now that suttoni is now refined to one creek and sulcatus? is the one covering Inland Northern NSW and Southern Qld.... hard to keep up eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back