Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am publishing here all answers from top competitors to be judged by Simon.

Hi Simon.

This are the answers for your question from the competitors for price.

Yourr final judgement is the decider.

People did enjoy this type of challenge and they have lot of fun. Thank you for sponsoring this comp with such a great prices prices.

Please award the answers by points on scale 1-7 points.
APS is waiting for your final words on this one.

Answer from .........Lost_in_the_jungle

it is a oxyuranus microlepidotus or inland Taipan, it is found in the
desert of central australia and there is nothing special about this snake,
except it is a super snake

cheers

that was a great comp by the way

Answer from .............Simple

Simon's question

Oxyuranus Microlepidotus (fierce snake or inland taipan)
Its found north western S.A, western N.S.W, south western and western Qld and far south eastern N.T
It has the most toxic venom in the snake world is what makes it special

Regards
Simple

Answer from.........Mangles

Number 30
Oxyuranus Microlepidotus, Inland Taipan. This snake is found in the black soil plains in the region where Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory borders converge. This snake is the most toxic snake in the world with venom more potent than any other species by a large margin.

Answer from ............Tan

Simon’s question: What sort of snake is this – common and scientific name. Where is it found? What is special about this snake?

I’ll guess Inland Tiapan or Fierce Snake (Oxyuranus (parademansia) microlepidotus (McCoy 1879)
Occurs inland regions near the junction of Qld, NSW, NT and SA. Original specimens were collected from the junction of the Darling and Murray Rivers ( and one in Bourke) but none have been collected from there since then.
What is special about his snake is it is the most deadliest in the world with its venom being 50 times more toxic than the Indian cobra. Its venom contains neurotoxic, procoagulant and myotoxic activities. They also exhibit a seasonal colour change darker in winter and lighter in summer.

Not sure how these will go but let me thank-you for running this comp! I spent a lot of time researching the questions and as a result have learnt heaps more about reptiles, especially our wonderful Australian ones. So thanks for your time and energy with this comp, I have thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!!

Cheers
Tanya

Answer from.........snakehunter

Dugite Pseudonaja affinis
Found - P. a. affinis Mainland south-western WA. P. a. tanneri some islands of Archipelago of the Recherche off south coast of WA, P. a. exilis on Rottnest Island.
Snake appears to be gravid

Answer from...........Wrasse

Question from Simon........What sort of snake is this – common and scientific name. Where is it found? What is special about this snake?

The short answer:

The Inland taipan, AKA Western taipan, Small scaled snake or Fierce snake. (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) is normally associated with the harsh flat plains of western Queensland, western New South Wales and the north eastern corner of South Australia.
Highly venomous, tests on the venom toxicity have shown it to be more potent than any other Australian land snake. This snake is considered the worlds most venomous snake.

The long answer with added typing, blood, sweat and tears:

Oxyuranus microlepidotus (Inland taipan, Western taipan, Small scaled snake or Fierce snake.)

(Although having the title the Fierce Snake, the Taipan is a shy snake and would rather retreat from potential danger. It is not inclined to attack or bite unless provoked.)

Oxyuranus microlepidotus is an extremely venomous large Australian elapid, inhabiting harsh inland regions of central eastern Australia.

Grows to 2m in length although Mirtschin and Davis, and Gow, report specimens to 2.7m. Males and females grow to about the same size.

Head slightly distinct from a robust body. Smooth scales.

Colour: Varies from summer to winter, with summer colouration being a lighter straw or pale brown and winter colouration tending towards a rich dark brown to almost black and often appearing patternless.
The head is often black or darker than the body colour. Iris, black, pupil, black

(The specimen shown in the photographs is in winter colouration).

Dorsal surface: Can vary from solid dark brown to light straw brown, sometimes with dark edges or darker flecks arranged in faint bands.

Ventral surface: Rich cream to yellow, sometimes with orange blotches.

Midbody scales: 23 rows.
Ventrals number 211-250.
Subcaudals 52-70 all or mostly divided with a small number close to the anal and including the anal scale, single.

Fang Length: 3.5 – 6mm in adults.

Habitat: Inland, along the junctions of South Australia, Queensland and New South Wales, with isolated pockets recorded within central South Australia, New South Wales and on the edge of Victoria. The range appears to be shrinking and this is likely due to changing climactic conditions and the encroaching of human habitation and associated human paraphernalia, livestock, traffic, etc. Due to the lack of current sightings in areas previously inhabited by Oxyuranus microlepidotus, it is possible that some small pockets may have become extinct.

This area inhabited by Oxyuranus microlepidotus is bleak and sp**** and one of temperate extremes, with dry periods followed by flooding rains. Terrestrial by nature, during the night and in times of heat it shelters in the deep cracks within the soil, or within the burrows of the Long Haired Rat (Rattus villosissimus), emerging to bask and forage for brief periods during the sunlight hours, predominately during the early morning and late afternoon. Although it is usually diurnal, during extremely hot periods it has been witnessed to hunt during the night.

Hunting: When hunting Oxyuranus microlepidotus will follow cracks and investigate burrows, seeking the warm blooded dinner it desires, when located, it uses its potent venom to quickly cause the animal to succumb. It may use a snap and release method of prey envenomation and then follow the prey as it waits for the prey to succumb, before moving in to partake of the meal, however it has also been witnessed in some cases to ‘hold’ onto prey while it waits for the venom to quickly take effect. It feeds predominately on the long haired rats local to the Taipan habitat, although will take other small mammals if the situation presents itself.

Reproduction: Mating occurs around the warmer months of September to March and clutch sizes may produce in the range of 9 - 20 eggs. The eggs are usually laid in abandoned animal burrows and deep crevices. Gestation is approximately seven weeks and captive incubation studies are variably different, some showing around 66 days, others up to 105 days, (incubation temperatures used during these captive studies were not available for comparison).

Venom: The most toxic terrestrial snake known, the venom contains a potent mix containing neurotoxic, procoagulant and myotoxic properties. It has a lethal dose estimated to be 50 times that of Naja naja (Indian cobra). The average venom yield is 44 mg, with a 110-mg record yield.

A single bite from Oxyuranus microlepidotus, if medical attention and antivenene is not received immediately, is likely to be fatal. Symptoms include vomiting, flaccid paralysis, and eventual respiratory paralysis.

Related species: Originally thought to be related to only one other Australian Oxyuranus species, Oxyuranus scutellatus, it has now been very recently found to have a western relative, Oxyuranus temporalis.
There is also the Papuan taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus canni) which is native to the southern coast of Papua New Guinea.

The layman’s answer:

It’s a bloody snake!! Grab the dog!! Where’s a stick???

Wrasse

Answer from.............. Readysell
Inland Taipan, (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]O. microlepidotus occurs in [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]the drainage systems of Cooper Creek, the Diamantina River [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and the Georgina River in far western Queensland and north [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]eastern South Australia [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]most deadly toxin[/FONT]

Answer from...........Sdaji
Hi Jan,

well, here we go at last! The final week! Wow, what a ride it has been!
Okay, here are my answers!

******************ANSWER FOR DR SIMON STONE*****************************

Question from Simon........What sort of snake is this – common and
scientific name. Where is it found? What is special about this snake?

*Common name

*Common names include: Western Taipan, Inland Taipan, Inland Tai,
Small-scaled Snake and Fierce Snake.

**Scientific name
Scientific name is: Oxyuranus microlepidotus. In the past this species has
also been in the genera Parademansia, Pseudonaja and even Demansia, however,
Oxyuranus is now widely accepted and likely to remain the genus to which all
three known Taipans belong.

***Where is it found……?

***Where is it found distributionally?
It occurs in the channel country of arid south-western QLD and north-eastern
SA as far south-west as Coober Pedy and eastern and north-eastern NSW
particularly in the drainage systems of the Diamantina River and Cooper
Creek. There are old records of the species occurring in the extreme
north-west of Victoria, the only Victorian specimens are from “Mondellinum”,
a site near the junction of the Murray and Darling Rivers, collected in
1857, although this record is often believed to be invalid. An old record
also exists for central far northern NSW. It is presumed extinct in NSW and
Victoria (if it actually did occur in Victoria). Some authors indicate its
presence in eastern and south-eastern NT, others do not and it seems to be
that it is unrecorded there, with the inclusions of parts of NT in the
distribution maps being based on speculation.

***Where is it found temporally? In which habitats and microclimates is it
found?
It is found in sp****ly vegetated plains with cracking soils (sheltering
within soil cracks), or within the burrows of Long-haired Rats (Rattus
villosissimus). It is primarily diurnal, so if it is out in the open, away
from these refuges, it is mostly during the day, often during hot weather.
Diurnal activity also occurs within soil cracks and burrows.

****What is special about this snake?

****This snake is special because it is considered to be the most venomous
of all land snakes, according to toxicity tests on its venom carried out on
lab mice on a drop-for-drop basis. The snake gives an average dose of 44mg
of venom, with a maximum recorded of 110mg. A single bite can deliver enough
venom to kill over 100 healthy adult humans or over 250,000 mice. Based on
the lab tests, the venom is 50 times more toxic than that of the Indian
Cobra and around 650-850 times more toxic than that of the Eastern and
Western Diamond-backed Rattle Snakes. The venom is primarily neurotoxic,
usually causing death by respiratory failure. The other two long-known
species of Taipans, Papuan and Coastal, have much lower venom toxicities,
while a recently discovered fourth species of Taipan, Oxyuranus temporalis
is yet to have its venom analysed.

Regards and thanks for the adventure which has lasted most of a year!

Sdaji

This are the points for my question regarding snake on the hand.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]GARTHNFAY 0,0,1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lost_in_the_jungle 0,0,1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Tan 5,0,1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Simple 0,0,1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mangles 0,0,0[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Readysell 0,0,1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]snakehunter 0,0,0[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wrasse 0,0,0[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sdaji 0,0,0[/FONT]

Attachments

• 140-4048_IMG.JPG
    140-4048_IMG.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 205
This tiger snake from Western Australia was your answer. Congratulation Tan. You just had state wrong.

I don't feel too bad getting the snake on the hand question wrong, because all the experts got it wrong as well.

Just as a matter of interest, what did everyone else say it was?

I don't feel too bad getting the snake on the hand question wrong, because all the experts got it wrong as well.

I thought it was a black phase common tree snake :(

Incidently, if you are including me in that 'expert' comment, you are soooo wrong. These questions, until the last few, were fun and a bit of guessing with a lot of research. However, the last few have been truly difficult and I have had to learn a whole new language, such as species structures, loreals, dorsal scales, ventral scales, how to count scales, about colour variations... WOW

I never thought that entering a competition would create such a huge learning curve. I have to admit, as interesting and fun as it has been, I am looking forward to having some time off. :p

Well done Tan in picking that one correctly, and for being the only one to get it right! You have to be pretty proud with yourself for that one. :)

Last edited:

Some people said tree snake some black snake. Only Tan had tiger snake in.

My first thought was a Chappell Island Tiger Snake, but changed my mind and said a northern tree Snake.

Well done Tan.

Thank-you but I'm afraid it was not enough to bump me up there.......off to sulk and cry in the corner now:cry: :cry: :cry:

By the way slatey what state were you in?

Thank-you but I'm afraid it was not enough to bump me up there.......off to sulk and cry in the corner now:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh dear Tan, your answers are good, but your maths needs some work. ;)

You are only a half point behind third place. You most certainly are right back in the running !!

Western Australia. I cought this fella early in year, he was nice could to handle that morning.

hehe I reckon I was correct when I answered ' What state am I in'?? hehehe

You must of been in that state to pick up a tiger!!!

Slatey, I'm havin withdrawels!!!! Need pics to identify (LOL)

Competition is finalized.

Simon awarded points for last question to our finalists.
Results are below:

Answer from .........Lost_in_the_jungle (3 points)

it is a oxyuranus microlepidotus or inland Taipan, it is found in the
desert of central australia and there is nothing special about this snake,
except it is a super snake

cheers

that was a great comp by the way

Answer from .............Simple (5 points)

Simon's question

Oxyuranus Microlepidotus (fierce snake or inland taipan)
Its found north western S.A, western N.S.W, south western and western Qld and far south eastern N.T
It has the most toxic venom in the snake world is what makes it special

Regards
Simple

Answer from.........Mangles (4 points)

Number 30
Oxyuranus Microlepidotus, Inland Taipan. This snake is found in the black soil plains in the region where Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory borders converge. This snake is the most toxic snake in the world with venom more potent than any other species by a large margin.

Answer from ............Tan (5 points)

Simon's question: What sort of snake is this – common and scientific name. Where is it found? What is special about this snake?

I'll guess Inland Tiapan or Fierce Snake (Oxyuranus (parademansia) microlepidotus (McCoy 1879)
Occurs inland regions near the junction of Qld, NSW, NT and SA. Original specimens were collected from the junction of the Darling and Murray Rivers ( and one in Bourke) but none have been collected from there since then.
What is special about his snake is it is the most deadliest in the world with its venom being 50 times more toxic than the Indian cobra. Its venom contains neurotoxic, procoagulant and myotoxic activities. They also exhibit a seasonal colour change darker in winter and lighter in summer.

Not sure how these will go but let me thank-you for running this comp! I spent a lot of time researching the questions and as a result have learnt heaps more about reptiles, especially our wonderful Australian ones. So thanks for your time and energy with this comp, I have thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!!

Cheers
Tanya

Answer from.........snakehunter (0 points)

Dugite Pseudonaja affinis
Found - P. a. affinis Mainland south-western WA. P. a. tanneri some islands of Archipelago of the Recherche off south coast of WA, P. a. exilis on Rottnest Island.
Snake appears to be gravid

Answer from...........Wrasse (5 points)
- Show quoted text -

Question from Simon........What sort of snake is this – common and scientific name. Where is it found? What is special about this snake?

The short answer:

The Inland taipan, AKA Western taipan, Small scaled snake or Fierce snake. (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) is normally associated with the harsh flat plains of western Queensland, western New South Wales and the north eastern corner of South Australia.
Highly venomous, tests on the venom toxicity have shown it to be more potent than any other Australian land snake. This snake is considered the worlds most venomous snake.

The long answer with added typing, blood, sweat and tears:

Oxyuranus microlepidotus (Inland taipan, Western taipan, Small scaled snake or Fierce snake.)

(Although having the title the Fierce Snake, the Taipan is a shy snake and would rather retreat from potential danger. It is not inclined to attack or bite unless provoked.)

Oxyuranus microlepidotus is an extremely venomous large Australian elapid, inhabiting harsh inland regions of central eastern Australia.

Grows to 2m in length although Mirtschin and Davis, and Gow, report specimens to 2.7m. Males and females grow to about the same size.

Head slightly distinct from a robust body. Smooth scales.

Colour: Varies from summer to winter, with summer colouration being a lighter straw or pale brown and winter colouration tending towards a rich dark brown to almost black and often appearing patternless.
The head is often black or darker than the body colour. Iris, black, pupil, black

(The specimen shown in the photographs is in winter colouration).

Dorsal surface: Can vary from solid dark brown to light straw brown, sometimes with dark edges or darker flecks arranged in faint bands.

Ventral surface: Rich cream to yellow, sometimes with orange blotches.

Midbody scales: 23 rows.
Ventrals number 211-250.
Subcaudals 52-70 all or mostly divided with a small number close to the anal and including the anal scale, single.

Fang Length: 3.5 – 6mm in adults.

Habitat: Inland, along the junctions of South Australia, Queensland and New South Wales, with isolated pockets recorded within central South Australia, New South Wales and on the edge of Victoria. The range appears to be shrinking and this is likely due to changing climactic conditions and the encroaching of human habitation and associated human paraphernalia, livestock, traffic, etc. Due to the lack of current sightings in areas previously inhabited by Oxyuranus microlepidotus, it is possible that some small pockets may have become extinct.

This area inhabited by Oxyuranus microlepidotus is bleak and sp**** and one of temperate extremes, with dry periods followed by flooding rains. Terrestrial by nature, during the night and in times of heat it shelters in the deep cracks within the soil, or within the burrows of the Long Haired Rat (Rattus villosissimus), emerging to bask and forage for brief periods during the sunlight hours, predominately during the early morning and late afternoon. Although it is usually diurnal, during extremely hot periods it has been witnessed to hunt during the night.

Hunting: When hunting Oxyuranus microlepidotus will follow cracks and investigate burrows, seeking the warm blooded dinner it desires, when located, it uses its potent venom to quickly cause the animal to succumb. It may use a snap and release method of prey envenomation and then follow the prey as it waits for the prey to succumb, before moving in to partake of the meal, however it has also been witnessed in some cases to 'hold' onto prey while it waits for the venom to quickly take effect. It feeds predominately on the long haired rats local to the Taipan habitat, although will take other small mammals if the situation presents itself.

Reproduction: Mating occurs around the warmer months of September to March and clutch sizes may produce in the range of 9 - 20 eggs. The eggs are usually laid in abandoned animal burrows and deep crevices. Gestation is approximately seven weeks and captive incubation studies are variably different, some showing around 66 days, others up to 105 days, (incubation temperatures used during these captive studies were not available for comparison).

Venom: The most toxic terrestrial snake known, the venom contains a potent mix containing neurotoxic, procoagulant and myotoxic properties. It has a lethal dose estimated to be 50 times that of Naja naja (Indian cobra). The average venom yield is 44 mg, with a 110-mg record yield.

A single bite from Oxyuranus microlepidotus, if medical attention and antivenene is not received immediately, is likely to be fatal. Symptoms include vomiting, flaccid paralysis, and eventual respiratory paralysis.

Related species: Originally thought to be related to only one other Australian Oxyuranus species, Oxyuranus scutellatus, it has now been very recently found to have a western relative, Oxyuranus temporalis.
There is also the Papuan taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus canni) which is native to the southern coast of Papua New Guinea.

The layman's answer:

It's a bloody snake!! Grab the dog!! Where's a stick???

Wrasse

Answer from.............. Readysell (4 points)
Inland Taipan, (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
O. microlepidotus occurs in

the drainage systems of Cooper Creek, the Diamantina River

and the Georgina River in far western Queensland and north

eastern South Australia

most deadly toxin

Answer from...........Sdaji (6 points)

Final Score after 30 tasks.
Sdaji 77........................Woma
readysell 74................Black Headed Python
Wrasse 73...................Jungle

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]tan 72.5
[/FONT]
Lost_in_the_jungle 46
snakehunter 43.5
Mangles 41
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] OzGecko 38
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Simple 34[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]narkeg 32.5[/FONT][/FONT]
pike1 23
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]jimbo 22[/FONT]
Dann 21
Erin 21
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Boxing_pelican 19.3
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]junglepython2 19[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rennie 17.5[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]boconnor 11[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]MrBredli 11[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Nagraj 10

Congratulation to all competitors, and specially to the people who managed to get 10 points or more.
Thank you
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Simon[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] from Southern Cross reptiles for donating such a great prices.
All 3 winning finalists please ring Southern Cross Reptiles and claim your price. There will be some time to get animals distribyted, but this can be discussed with Southern Cross directly.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Congratulation to our finalists and also to Tan.
Tan would have her hard broken after coming so close to be winner in this comp.
Well done to all.

I am about ready to feint! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

oooohhhh I want a woma......can we win one of them in the NRL comp????

I'm going off to a corner to cry!!!!!!:cry:
CONGRATULATIONS WINNERS!!!:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back