Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My question was: What snake is named after the defensive posture it assumes when alarmed.

I had in mind our australian curl snake as right answer, but after thinking it ower when your answers came , I must say that there is many snakes named after they defensive posture.
I decided to give each player ½ point for each right answer. And 1 extra point for participating. Well done.

Robbo
my answer for question 21 is
curl snake / myall snake ( suta suta )

By JandC_Reptiles.
My answer would be the hooded cobra which displays its caped hood when in a defensive pose.

Also the following 2 animals are also named after their defensive actions but I am not sure if these would qualify to your question of posture.

Rattle snakes use their tail rattle when in defense mode.
Spitting cobras spit venom when in defense mode.

AntaresiaLady
After some searching, I located information that lead me to the answer below:
The Cottonmouth Snake- Agkistrodon piscivorus, is named after the posture it takes when on the defense- it opens its mouth to reveal the inside of it, which led to them being called cottonmouth.
They are quite aggressive by nature, and are a large aquatic venomous snake. They’ve been recorded as getting to approx 6 foot in length.
I’m not sure how good the picture will be- I had to resize it.

junglemad
The Ball Python is named because it curls up into a ball when alarmed
The Rattlesnake is named after the way it rattles its tail when it is alarmed
ThePuff Adder is named after the way it puffs itself up when alarmed
The Cotton Mouth is named after the white inside coluration of its mouth which it opens when alarmed.

Southy
a rattlesnake?

Points for this answer:

Robbo 1.5
JandC_Reptiles 1.5
Antaresia Lady 1.5
Junglemad 2.5
Southy 1

score after 20th round.
steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 43
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 13
staffsrule 23 and half
Dicco 9 and half
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 39.5
junglemad 46
westaussie 1
olivehydra 10
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo 30.5
Kahn_10 3
Antaresia Lady 1.5

This people are leading Southern Cross Reptile Competition on APS

Leaders of comp so far:

1. junglemad 46
2. JandC_Reptiles 43
3. southy 39.5
5. Robbo 30.5
4. staffsrule 23.5

New question 22.
Name main reason why hospital staff wait before they actually treat the bite from venomous snake?

Please answer by Wednesday evening12.04.06 to email [email protected][/size]

Please don't post your answers here.

slatey, you forgot the most obvious, The brown snakes, pseudonaja, meaning false cobra.

There is quite few I forgot. I would get only 1.5 point my self.
Junglemad blow me off.

Hold on.. are thems fighting words..? ... i hope so cos i don't like the other alternative :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: that was a bit random :shock:

Bloody funny though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JandC_Reptiles said:
Shouldn't I of got 2.5 points for my 3 answers?

I don't know, I could not decide if spiting is posture. That is why I did not included spiting cobra. Question was named after the defensive posture If I am wrong, I will corect the score, please feel welcome to put your opinion on that, I will take advice on this from any 3th party.

I agree with you Slateman, spitting is not a posture, it's a defence mechanism. Sorry J&C.

Yes that was my opinion also.
Displaying a cotton mouth, rattling a tail, rolling into a ball etc are all defensive actions also. A snake making a puffing noise or rattling its tail to make a noise isn't so much a position of posture either. Points were awarded for those answers so I don't see why not :p

I agree with you re: ratlling.. the Rattler is named after the noise it makes when alarmed, not the posture it takes. The other two i believe are correct though. JMO.

The cobra does take on a posture in order for its defense mechanism though, that being to stand erect & to spit at its attacker. I don't know if they can spit while at ground height on their bellies so I assume it may infact take on that posture for that reason?

So I may be semi right?

stop crying...pass me my bredli. Why wasn't my answer right last week or the week before???

I think spitting and rattling fall into the same category. They are usually accompanied by a certain posture, but 'spitting' and 'rattling' can't be considered a 'posture' in themselves. Whereas rolling up into a ball, or displaying a cotton coloured mouth are obviously types of postures. JMO.

NP, I agree.
Thats why I mentioned in my answer that I was unsure.
I guess it is more of a threat posture with a defense action involved.

Remove points for rattlers & puffers & I will stop crying lol.

you don't think rattling a tail is a defensive posture? you don't think puffing yourself up is a defensive posture??? what would you call it?

this Bredli better be a hypo

I was thinking along the lines of posture meaning "position of body" rather than what the animal actually does (i.e. rattles, spits). Good point though junglemad, i'm going to refer to the dictionary..

a position the body can assume, for example standing, sitting, kneeling, or lying down

a position, attitude, or stance that is intended to deceive

the way in which somebody carries his or her body, especially when standing

I think rattling & puffing are defensive actions.
Both species (rattlers & puffers) emit noise by an action, neither actually take on a posture that defines its name. Same as spitting cobra's, they take on a posture of standing erect & spitting venom yet that answer is not valid. Standing erect is a mere threat posture & spitting is a defensive action.

Puffing isn't the adder inflating itself, it is a loud hissing noise the species makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back