Southern forest dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Also known as Angle-headed dragons. :?
I bought a trio of these little beauties on wednesday (photo's will be in gallery soon.) :D
They are sort of a 'practise' for when I get my Boyd's forest dragons in 15 months. Also, got them because they are fantastic little critters. :D
I know the basics of husbandry for them and had a good chat to the guy I bought them off. :)
If anyone has any Info on them or tricks they have picked up regarding their care, please reply to this post with the info. :wink:
From what I know of them, I'd thoroughly reccommend them to anyone who wants a 'pet' dragon. They need no heating and can be kept in a glass tank in your living room. Some UV should be provided but they do not bask. They are very placid and friendly, more so than most beardies. Diet is mostly insects (woodies, crix and worms.) They cost about $120 each for hatchies but seeing that no heat is required, the enclosures are a lot cheaper to set up then for a beardie.

NSW - they are class 2. :? I can't get my class 2 till then (need to have class 1 for 2 years first.)
Not quite sure of the logic there, care is meant to be pretty similar to angle head's and they are not endangered...

You lucky boy Mags!!! I love the Angle Heads, they are just gorgeous. Unfortunately I don't think they are on the list down here in Vic :( Please someone prove me wrong on this!?!
Were they the ones on Herp Shop Mags?

I think the main reason dragons like boyd's and frillies are on class 2 is because wild caught specimans don't adjust to captivity well.
When the were originally being collected they were seen as hard species to keep therefore they were listed as an advanced reptile.

Captive bred specimans are generally very hardy and easy to care for provided they are setup properly.
I know a few people who have boyd's and they all say that they are easy to care for.

I've been keeping frillies for about a year and they are no harder to keep than a beardie. Just a bit warmer temps.

Yep, the ones on herp shop. Just happened to be in sydeny this week, only 15 minutes from where the guy who was selling them was located. Was talking to Simon_Archibald in chat and we decided it must have been fate so I'd better get some. Unfortunately, they guy was busy on the day I was there so I had to hang around sydeny for 3 hours. Boring!! I wasn't even near any of the APS people that I know so couldn't drop in for lunch.
Anyway, they are doing well so far, eating woodies and worms (they love worms!)
BTW (put that in just for you Greebo) if I have a trio of angle heads, does that mean I have a triangle head? :?
Have you contacted your version of NPWS directly and asked them afro? :D

Actually Maggie I checked the list and can keep the angles on an advanced licence so I am upgrading when renewal comes up :):) It is the Boyds that you can't keep in Victoria :( sob.
Hey mate, did you see my post about PM'ing me regarding the Monitor Magazine?

You have a triangle of angles?
What have you named them?
I know pythagoras is taken.
What about obtuse or hypotenuse or isosceles?

If not isocolese, how about seven or soda?
Greebo will know what I'm on about if no one else does... :)

Hmmm, if it's a Simpsons reference, I must have missed that episode (haven't seen any new ones for about 3 years now.)

They have no names at the moment as I can't even tell the apart yet.

Nah, That one's a Seinfeld reference Mags. :)
BTW (!) Congrats. They are very distinctive looking little guys. Very cute.

Well I won't be using those names then, I hate Seinfeld. :(

You said in your first post that they do not require an artificial heat source.
Why is this?
Is this because the temps in tanworth are quite warm (I know squat about geography) where are the dragons naturally found?

Hi Magpie,
I have kept both boyds and angle heads and it is 100% the same care.
They do not bask, but they do like humidity. Sphagnum Moss wrapped in a pillow of shade cloth or even loose can keep it that way for them. In brisbane thats easy, it gets harder the further south you are I guess
Cheers,
Ad

Do they have high UV requirements?
Shaded UV of course,being a forest dweller.

re southern forest dragons

ad said:
Hi Magpie,
I have kept both boyds and angle heads and it is 100% the same care.
They do not bask, but they do like humidity. Sphagnum Moss wrapped in a pillow of shade cloth or even loose can keep it that way for them. In brisbane thats easy, it gets harder the further south you are I guess
Cheers,
Ad

I have had a trio for the past 2 years and one thing I find they appreciate is a big fern they like to hide in the foliage and appreciate being misted, my oldest female also likes to lie in her water bowl.
In summer I keep mine outside in a mouse wired large cocky cage, under a pergola so they can still get natural uv, but not too much heat, winter they are kept in my reptile room.
My female did get a lump on her jaw when I first had her as she was kept inside, no extra heat but I don't think she got enough uva/b. I got rid of it by putting her outside and dipping roaches in calcium for her.
I also brought a male as an adult that had the same problem, and had lost most of his teeth, and unfortunately he passed away.
They are lovely animals but a bit temperamental with their feeding, my female will only eat if I had feed her roaches, probably be a bit easier if I lived further up the coast.

I also have spaghnum moss on the floor with real moss taken from rocks on top which I keep moist

ps they like to play dead, so if you think one has passed away wait a while as I know someone that disposed of theirs only to find out it was still alive.

cheers
meg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back