Space Saving Breeding Setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Ok...I've ditched the aviary idea! Now, without anyone telling me that I shouldn't be getting in to breeding at my age, would any body be able to give me ideas or pics of Space saving breeding setups??

Thanks in advance

BB,

need a little more info in your posts mainly for what species and what do you mean breeding set-ups? Incubators/adult breeding pairs/hatchling arrangements?

Cheers Hawkeye

Every animal has a minimum space requirement which should be met.You can house species together but this poses more threats to dangers such as loss of animals to canibalism etc.Therfore looking at space saving techniques to breeding isn't the greatest idea and one I'd strongly recommend against.I suggest you find exactly what species you are after and read everything about them before attempting any detailed planning.

Ill give a quick suggestion here in regards to breeding.Below is minimum caging to save space as you would like.
For snakes
kept isolated

Arboreal
Half the snakes total adult length for the length and height of enclosure and half that again for the width = 4x4x2 for a 8 foot python.

Terrestrial
Half the snakes total adult length for the length of enclosure and half that again for the height and width = 4x2x2 for a 8 foot python.

Lizards
Kept in colonies

1 male to 3-4 females in appropriate sized enclosures or pits.Best to only house single species within each enclosure as this will make it easier to salvage any layed eggs or young (due to not having differing seasons etc).My advice here would be 1 1/2 foot square per foot of lizard.Expect 5-8 foot square for 1.4.0 bearded dragons or blue tongues etc.

The only thing that could save you a bit of space is building your enclosures in banks for larger pythons getting cages built to fit a room and racks for smaller and hatchling pythons.
Like CC said animals have minimum space requirements, if your are wanting to start breeding alot of reptiles you'll need room.

If you are only wanting to breed a few species then you won't need much space.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't even pick that up
Good one

Hey CC, did you mean 5 - 8 foot square as you said or 5 - 8 square foot?
This is a serious question just in case you think I'm joshing ya.

Umm I dunno is there a difference? (also a serious question).
I meant roughly 5-8 foot square pit both in length and width.
EG: Roughly a 6x6 foot pit for 5-8 lizards.

Cheers Afric,
Also the centre of these pits should be decked out with hollow logs and hides etc and a shallow pond placed in 1 corner.The end result equalling minimum caging requirements for those species such as skinks & dragons etc.

Belle~Belinda said:
Ok...I've ditched the aviary idea! Now, without anyone telling me that I shouldn't be getting in to breeding at my age, would any body be able to give me ideas or pics of Space saving breeding setups??

Thanks in advance

Hey Belinda
I think for where you are living an avairy would be ideal. I am in Sydney and during summer I house my vitticeps with water dragons and bluetongues. I have had multiple males in together without incident, they all have plenty of logs to climb and hide in. During winter I just move my vitties inside until they they have bred and then incubate the eggs myself. In the case of one female that double clutched, I just put her in a nesting box, inside, with a peat/sand mix on a heat matt, let her lay her eggs and then put her back outside. I also have an indoor avairy that houses mountain dragons/various geckoes and have housed my angleheads with geckoes without incident. I do however keep my olives and maccies separated during the year and start putting them together around the end of april for the macs.
You just have to watch that when a female is due to lay/give birth you remove her from the avairy to save babies being eaten by other bigger lizards.

My ex has also housed sandies/bluetongues/beardies/cunninghams/water dragons and turtles together in a huge outdoor enclosure. And full sized adult lace monitors with eastern water dragons, have even seen the waters perched on top of the laceys head.

Although I would house the different dragons outside together, would not be wise to keep them together in smaller tanks as they don't have much of a chance to escape. Same goes for juvenile lizards with adult (exception being my mountain dragons), my daughters baby beardie was killed by an adult female.

good luck with whatever choice you make, good to see you researching before jumping right in
cheers
olivaceus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back