Species that have fallen out of the hobby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red-Ink

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was having a bit of a reminisce about days gone by and started remembering species that were prevelent when I was started in this hobby. One of which is Egernia hosmeri (Hosmers skink) haven't seen any of them for a while now. I'm sure there are a few other species out there that people remember that aren't as common anymore....

I love the look of hosmeri. Really want one.

When i started keeping snakes (in the UK) everybody had Garter snakes. They were literally everywhere. 8 years on when i leave the UK to live in Australia and there isnt a single Garter snake in sight. People probably got tired of keeping snakes that just crap EVERYWHERE as soon as you try and move them to even clean the enclosure lol.

heath monitors
what happened to all the heath monitors

When i started keeping snakes (in the UK) everybody had Garter snakes. They were literally everywhere. 8 years on when i leave the UK to live in Australia and there isnt a single Garter snake in sight. People probably got tired of keeping snakes that just crap EVERYWHERE as soon as you try and move them to even clean the enclosure lol.

Garter Snakes aren't native so people don't keep them.

Ashman was saying when he left the UK people had stopped keeping them. He is not saying people don't keep them in Australia as there out of fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashman was saying when he left the UK people had stopped keeping them. He is not saying people don't keep them in Australia as there out of fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh!

Island form Tiger Snakes in general. They used to be commonly available, and now they only show up in dribs and drabs. They are still around, but very few keepers put effort into breeding them. It would be great to see more Chappell's, King's, Reevsby's, Flinders etc available.

One other notable mention is Varanus semiremex. These guys were very common in captivity in the 70's and 80's, but now there's only a few individuals left. Hopefully the current owners can have some sort of success.

I just wish slatey greys were more popular
That metallic shine is just something else and they dont look like 99% of other snakes

Don't see many military dragons up for sale at the mo.would like to have many different dragons.they are extremly cool and friendly.Yep the jacky dragon,and black soil ? dragons are very expensive to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back