Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Archibald

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thought I'd post some pics of these Spencers Monitor pits I just built yesterday and finished today in my garage.

The whole unit is 2.4m long x 1.5m wide x 92cm high. This is then split in half, giving each monitor an enclosure measuring 1.5m x 1.2m x 92cm.

The sides are just sheets of Mini-orb bought from Bunnings (they call it Ripple Iron) which are screwed to large-sized garden stakes. The pointed end of the stakes is at the top which the mesh roofing anchors onto.

On each enclosure there is 2 pieces of mesh roofing...one fixed to the stakes (at the back above the heat lamps) and the front section hinges upwards for access.

For heating the domes are currently running a 275watt heat lamp (as used in bathroom heating lights or food cookers). This gives an excellent hot spot and the rest of the enclosure has a nice temperature. I've been running these 2 lamps for the last week while the garage has been shut and the heat buildup in the garage is pretty much perfect.

Substrate is bagged dried sand. I have removed some enclosure furnishings for the photos, just to give better idea of size.

The female is housed in the left enclosure and the male in the right enclosure. Many people have asked me why I housed them separately if they are a pair. Quite simply because the female is slightly larger than the male and will attack him if they were introduced. It took her all of 1 second to have another female by the throat, literally thrashing her everywhere over the enclosure before I was able to separate them.

Interestingly, this enclosure cost me less than it would for 1 6x2x2 MDF enclosure with glass and all. Far more economical (although takes up space :) )

Simon Archibald

I was talked out of selling them by Ricko and Greebs...and thankfully too because I'd probably regret it.

Simon Archibald

looks great simon. i love the look of spencers.

can i see some pics of your water monitor cages? is this spencer monitor setup acceptable for rosenberg's/goulds or with a pond (maby a fiberglass one or a simple plastic one like those todler padling pools) mertains/mitchels water monitors?

Kenshin,
Pics of the current Mitchell's Water Monitors enclosures can be viewed in the thread "Mitchells Water Monitor enclosure". It's in the Exotic Species forum here on APS.

As for this setup, it could easily be modified for any monitor species, dependant on size and requirements.

Do you keep Heath Monitors (Varanus rosenbergi)???

Simon Archibald

hey simon

no i dont keep heaths but iv always wanted sum but from what i understand they are somewhat rare in captivity i know that you have some are they breeding?

thinking of putting together a replica of what you made only with no divider in the middle and possible some lighting ajustments

do you know where i could get rosenbergii and what sort of priceing id be looking at

Kenshin,
I know one person who has a breeding group and I know of another person with a pair. I only have a male and was hoping you'd say you had a female.

As for where to get any...I wouldn't have a clue. Other than the WA collectors, it's very difficult.

Simon Archibald

And I thought you were somewhat sensible. Just make sure you get it regularly checked by your local bike shop - those things are death traps.

It ain't mine Jonno...so if there are any problems with it, won't be my injuries...but for once...thanks will pass on the message.

Simon Archibald

out of curiosity how much did you pay for your mitchelli and what dimensions are you going to house them in as adults

Greebs...That's the only reason the mesh is up top. It's of a size that they cannot get through, but also at the tops of all the posts it has been made impossible to get through by even more reinforcement.

But of course, they will probably surprise me by greeting me at the front door when I get home one day :)

Kenshin...$1300 for 3 and not sure.

Simon Archibald

Really interesting design, I would never have thought to make an indoor enclosure like that! Thanks for the idea Simon..hehe :twisted: :twisted:

anyone else got pics of their veranid enclosures ?

simon u got pice of your heath monitor ? how old is she ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back