spencers monitors wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraschram

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a couple of spencers monitor juvies - about 5 months old - that have decided to stop eating. it has been about a month since they've eaten - they just stopped one day and before then they ate everything that moved! I've tried all their usual feeds- pinkies, fuzzies, live ones too, cat food, but they're just not interested. they're still really active but are starting to loose condition, mainly obvious around the base of the tail

I'm used to snakes that wont eat but this is new territory for me. sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find a related thread. in fact i cant find much info on them at all!

they have a basking area at about 35 (thermostat controlled so that the middle of the tank is about 25 and the other end about 23)
i have them on red desert sand as a medium (always feed them in a dish) and they have a large water bowl and a repti light. they have a day night cycle and adequate ventilation.
i thought i had it all right but obviously somethings wrong.

should i up the basing temperature, i've heard they like it extremely hot but whats too hot. they're not basking all that often so i assume its hot enough.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
thanks
laura

G'day,

I would suggest increasing the overall temperature. Ours have a basking spot of over 60 degrees, and they definitely use it. It has been getting quite chilly here (Western Brisbane) lately, and we don't supply any night time heat so they are getting down to 10 degrees, probably less. However, as soon as the lights are switched on, they are active and hungry again.

Cheers

Jonno

Thanks
Gee 60 would be like an oven, i hat 40 degree weather! i don't know how these animals stand suck adverse conditions let alone like them! - ill try it, i have heard that elsewhere but it was always from people who hadn't kept them - only heard it - so i was skeptical. i am currently providing night time heat - the temp in our house gets a low as about 13 Celsius. should i stop their heating at night then?
thanks so much for your help Jonno
laura

That is way too cold. You need to increase the temp so the basking spot is well over 50C and that should make them better. Also dont use the thermostat either there is no need for one and flicking lights seem to stress goannas.

On a 40C day the basking temperature out in the sun would be well over 70C.

Definately up the temps like Jonno said, most monitors like a hot basking temp. I don't know a lot about spencers but it's probably worth giving them a few insects every-now-and-then like cickets. I always recommend trying huntsmans for fussy monitors, they can't resist spiders!
May be worth pming Cris or Tristis from this site, they seem to know their monitors.
Goodluck

Speak of the devil ;) I take way to long to type

Yea no need for a thermostat just have the globes on a day night cycle. You could use the thermostat for night heat though, it shouldnt have any problematic effects.

thanks so much everyone - funnily enough i have tried roaches and crickets and they never would touch em - not when yummy pinkie mice where coming the next feed ne how - as for spiders of any sort there is NO WAY. that would mean they would have to be in my house - near me! i can deal with any animal but not spiders. if it came down to that id probably have to give em away!

does anyone know of any good texts for these guys - im a vet student and normally turn to the books for any new species - our library is pretty good - but i cant find any good books on Aussie monitors.
As per the heat i am installing a reflector to concentrate the light in between messages.

What are everyones thoughts on night cycles - no heat or just low level heat?
i will remove the thermostat if its not needed for at night. at any rate i will take it off the spot - it mucks with our tv reception anyhow!
As per flicking lights - cris - is there one color light that they prefer?
thanks so much everyone - i suspect when im a qualified vet im gonna owe allot of people allot of favers!
cheers
laura

G'day Laura,

Matt Vincent co-wrote a book with Steve Wilson about all aspects of Australian varanids, you should be able to get it from Mike Swan (www.mikeswanherpbooks.com.au).

If you want to give them some night time heating, which I would suggest you do if it is getting under 15 or so degrees, then I would recommend either using blue or red 25 watt party globes, or some heat cord/tape.

Cheers

Jonno

During the day you should use bright reflector globes rather than coloured globes. I use 75 watt to ensure i get enough heat.

At night i provide my ackies heat using a ceramic globe. This is only low level heat thougg.

thanks i am using reflector globes through the day, i will just add on an external reflector to focus the lgiht - party globes for may snakes night time heat so will set it up - thanks so much all!

post some pics of your set up if you have them. giving them a hot basking spot is one thing giveng them a usable choice of temps in another. if your monitors cant get to the temp they want they will stress out and die

have just uploaded some photos of the spencer's and tanks for you on to
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/lschram/
there are also some photos of my new baby freshwater croc and my other tanks - will be adding more of my snakes etc over the next few days - warning i have a really crappy camera
hope you enjoy - sorry about all the dirty glass doors!
thanks again for everyones help - temp as 62 degrees now and they're loving it! will try and feed em tonight and hopefully there hungry!
STE_1361.JPG
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

you need a range of temps not just 62 degrees under the light.
your monitors dont have a choice. what happens when he wants to keep himself at 45 or 53 or 37 degrees? what if they want to hide at these temps,your cage dosnt allow the monitors to do what they need to do and that is pick and choose diffrent temps.
build a stack out of thin ply and stick it in there they will love it.

Simply, you need FAR more hides...create a stack with the top of the stack reaching between 55c -70c...

Your Monitor has insufficient choice of temperatures at the moment...

i meant the temp at the hottest spot i 62, sorry if i gave the wrong impression, it does taper off around the light down to about 25 at the other end of the tank. as far as hides they can get under the water bowel, into each of the skull ornaments and into a 'cave' behind their large stone, however i will build up the stone platform under the light to give them a better ability to select their temperature range.
i'm going to animal attractions tomorrow so will see about a fake rock hide, until then ill put in an ice cream container with a door cut in
it seems i initially got some poor advice on how to care for these guys, i assure you that the rest of my animals are appropriately cared for
my problem with these guys was that i couldn't find any reliable information up until now
thanks all for your help

Heat, heat, and more heat. You have to cook them! Mine have day and night heating over winter, and eat every day. night temps are around 25 deg, (cold end) day temps are 30 - 35 (cold end) under the heat lamp on that branch would be around 80 deg, I could bake bread in their enclosure!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back