Spider ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatE

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey just got sent this picture of a spider that was in my friends kitchen.Would anyone have an idea of what species?

Resized_20171128_235850_4536-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't the Weavers only in the USA?

@MatE , what location is your friend?
I would assume that with transportation, they are by now distributed around the world. Much like the Black Widow ‍♂️

I would assume that with transportation, they are by now distributed around the world. Much like the Black Widow ‍♂️

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
I'm pretty certain though that that one is a Hacklemesh Weaver, as I have previously collected them.

What you have there is almost certainly a species of Black House Spider, the most common of which is Badumna insignis. This specimen has more hirsute legs than B. insignis normally displays which likely indicates that it is another species. An exact location would help to determine the possibilities. These spiders are very commonly found in buildings, such as sheds, garages and houses. They build a fairly thick mess of web into which they retreat and hide during the day. They come out into the more open section of their webs after dark to quickly immobilise ensnared prey. In particularly hot weather those living in tin sheds and the like will come out to the outer edges of their webs in daytime to keep cool.

They are often mistaken as Funnel Webs but have marking on the abdomen and lack the large, obvious spinnerets of the Funnel Web.

Last edited:
My friend lives at a place called Korora which is just north of coffs harbour.

Does the spider look anything like this?
matE

fe694697681549c330f6ab056de1ef22.jpg
c5528be522150ae2aea2e502cf016d7f.jpg

It definitely has the red legs.
It definitely looks like a Hacklemesh Weaver to me

The large cephalothorax and markings on the abdomen

And these spiders can get relatively large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back