Spider ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radar

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've just come back from a few days up north and was wondering if anyone could help me out with an Id for this spider. Im shocking with spiders, and all I can think of is either a Whistling spider sling or a small funnel-web (funnel-webs are rare up here, but do occur quite a distance north of where this fella was found, at mossman, although its abdomen seems proportionalty too small to be a funnel web)
Random info:
-It came out of tall open wet sclerophyll forest on the western side of the paluma range, an hour north of townsville
-Was caught in a funnel trap overnight
-is roughly 30mm across atm

It's not being kept on sand, but I needed a contrasting substrate to take some reasonable (but still rubbish) photos.
Any help appreciated, thanks.
spider 1.JPG

spider 2.JPG

spider 3.JPG

Also....I've got a heap of cool herp pics to stick up, but do I have to resize all of them and post them here, or can I just post a link to an album on my facebook (it took about 10 minutes to upload them there, will take about 10 hours to do it here...)?

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure it's not a Tarrantula (whistling spider).
It looks a lot like a mouse spider.

Yeah, I thought about mouse spiders, but its abdomen and fangs are both too small compare to the others Ive seen, But I'll look into it a bit more.:)

looks like a trapdoor

Yeah, I think you're right, too. :lol:

We found a few large T's, but no juvies, so was just wondering (I havent found a T sling in alot of years, and never at this location).

Thanks for that. :D

Its a boy, whatever it is. Superficially similar to animals in the genus Aname. The common name for Aname diversicolor is 'Wishbone Spider' due to the shape of the burrow they dig.

Have to dig out my Mygal book by Raven, lost it amongst all the crap when i moved house.
Jordan

well it is male and its not a mouse spider
its a type of trapdoor ,they usually have small spinerets
il try to get back to you with the species im jus lookin at some refrence material:D

Thanks guys, the only spider id stuff Ive got is so basic its useless......

Hi,
(hey Jord, how ya going?? :))
It's a mature male Aname species, from the spider infra-order Mygalomorphae (trapdoors, funnel-webs and tarantulas) and the family Nemesiidae. They live in open burrows in soft soil, very common along road banks with a verticle surface in the TNQ area. Males get caught wandering often around this time of year ;)

Not regarded as dangerous, but be careful, we know nothing of the toxicity of the venom in these guys yet.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks dig, and yeah, I don't plan on gettin bitten, he's going back where he came from next weekend.

Hi,
(hey Jord, how ya going?? :))
It's a mature male Aname species, from the spider infra-order Mygalomorphae (trapdoors, funnel-webs and tarantulas) and the family Nemesiidae. They live in open burrows in soft soil, very common along road banks with a verticle surface in the TNQ area. Males get caught wandering often around this time of year ;)

Not regarded as dangerous, but be careful, we know nothing of the toxicity of the venom in these guys yet.

Cheers,
Steve

all i knew is it was a male, not a trapdoor and a migalomorph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back