Spotted acting strange.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriquar

Reaction score
Hi guys just after some advise regarding my spotted.

He is approx 12 months old.
I fed him 21 Aug, he regurgutated it up some time that night, rat was whole and no sign of digestion, no blood etc

Fed him again 1st September 2 hoppers, ate them no problems.

Tried to feed again 11th September, and he refused.

He has never regurg or refused a feed in the whole time Ive had him.

He is staying in his hot end of tub, he usually comes out to see what Im doing in the room.

He is over due for a shed, but I put that down to being winter.

I did notice he hasnt left me any presents either.

I think he regurgitated as rat was too big for him.

The 2 I last fed him, were smaller then he usually has.

Should I be concerned yet?

what are the temps? cool and hot end.

Hot end around 30-31
Cool end around 25-27

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

Really! Wow its Never been that high.

Oh, ok, Thank You so much x
So is that Why he not eating?

Oh, ok, Thank You so much x
So is that Why he not eating?

Theres many reasons, its doubtful that it is a heating issue ..if it is 31+, How are you measuring your temperatures?

Are you defrosting thoroughly and feeding a WARM (this can be done by putting the food in a bag,tied up/zippedup and placed in warm water for 20~minutes)
Do you have any pictures of your set up?

I have been keeping pythons for over 10 years, I have him in a decent sized tub, he has definite hot and cool ends.
I have always defrosted rodents then warmed as you suggest.

He is the first Spotted python I have owned.

I have an 11 year old Stimmi, which is thriving.

Have had...
Murray Darlings
Jungles
Womas
Childrens
Bredli
Stimmies

Have never had an issue with any of them.

Got me stumped. Unless he has gone into shed mode and not sent me the email lol.

wait a couple weeks,up to a month, it wont harm him, he should def show signs of a shed by then

Ok, thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it. Xx

I would be feeding a 12 month old Antaresia on mice. Everyone seems to want to get their snakes onto rats asap, but a 12 month old snake should be getting a full complement of bone, fur and fully developed gut content from the food it eats. If you are feeding it rats, they must be quite small and undeveloped, and will lack the full range of nutrients and fibre that an adult mouse is made up of. Mice would probably be better food for any Antaresia throughout its life actually. I have never understood why keepers are encouraged to get their snakes onto rats asap when a full-grown mouse is very likely a far more rounded meal.

I thaw all my rodents directly in hot water from the tap, no bags or other stuff, and feed wet. Never had a problem in over 40 years since I started doing that. If the water cools quickly because of the number of rodents in it, I just top up with more hot water and feed when they are at about body temp.

Jamie

Update on Barney

He has pooped and shed!!!

Thanks for all your advice.

Update on Barney

He has pooped and shed!!!

Thanks for all your advice.

Further Update.

Barney back to regurgitating again!

I have him in a tub on a heat cord and tile.
Temps are 36° hot end
26° cool end
Good varient inbetween.

Check regularly with laser thermometre.

Feeding in his tub, as thought moving him was upsetting him.

He was alright for a few feeds, but is back to upchucking everyother feed.

Any suggestions please!!

I would be feeding a 12 month old Antaresia on mice. Everyone seems to want to get their snakes onto rats asap, but a 12 month old snake should be getting a full complement of bone, fur and fully developed gut content from the food it eats. If you are feeding it rats, they must be quite small and undeveloped, and will lack the full range of nutrients and fibre that an adult mouse is made up of. Mice would probably be better food for any Antaresia throughout its life actually. I have never understood why keepers are encouraged to get their snakes onto rats asap when a full-grown mouse is very likely a far more rounded meal.

I thaw all my rodents directly in hot water from the tap, no bags or other stuff, and feed wet. Never had a problem in over 40 years since I started doing that. If the water cools quickly because of the number of rodents in it, I just top up with more hot water and feed when they are at about body temp.

Jamie
As I had no problem with my Stimmi I assumed Spotted be the same.
Lesson learned, what size mice do you suggest ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back