Spotted - heatmat vs heat lamp or both?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan_J

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at starting to collect the bits & pieces for a larger display enclosure for my spotted python and wondering if it's worth having a heatmat AND heat lamp (ceramic) for basking?

For a spotted, would just a ceramic heat lamp for a basking spot suffice?

If both mat and lamp, how do you go about regulating the temp? I know a thermometer can be used but they only have a single heat outlet.
Would it be worth running two thermometers - one for heatmat and another for heat lamp?

thanks,

Not everyone's cup of tea but my spotted has a heat lamp and a UV on timers, I also have a heat cable under a rock for cooler days(or nights). I don't use thermostats much. The incubator and the hatchy rack are the exceptions

Floor heat only. They don't naturally bask. I think you mean thermostat rather than thermometer, generally you'll do best keeping it as simple as possible. You can use as many thermometers as you like.

Floor heat only. They don't naturally bask. I think you mean thermostat rather than thermometer, generally you'll do best keeping it as simple as possible. You can use as many thermometers as you like.

Yeah sorry, i meant thermostat. Thanks for your help.

I have found that Snakes need heat from underneath only, they don't hang around in the sun unless the season's are changing and they have woken up, generally they want to stay out of sight because of predators. I supply a heat mat on a Thermostat I built with temps in the low 30's, the Snakes will regulate their own body temp by moving around from spot to spot, the light is just that, a light nothing more so they can tell day from night. I check the temps of the Heat Mat with the use of a laser thermometer every once in a while to make sure the thermostat is working properly and they are pretty happy.

Lizards are different, they need UV and heat for Basking. There are better UV lights like the T5 tube setup but I use MV Globes to provide UV and heat in one source because of cost of running.

Noel

Latest posts

Back