Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
Can anyone sell me non scientifically what the difference is between a Liasis Maculosus (Spotted Python or Eastern Small Blotched Python) and liasis childreni (childrens Pythons).
I have a maculosus and was thinking of getting some childrens pythons next summer so I was doing some early research but I cant differentiate between the two. Even in the Aussie Python galleries under species sorted I looked under childrens python and every single snake looks exactly the same as my mac :!:
The only difference I have read about is that the childrens are slighly more slender but I can't see that?

i think (emphasis on think!) that childrens pythons blotches are larger than a macs and their pattern fades as they get older...could be wrong but hey it wouldnt be the first time :p

Cheers
STP
Leader of the Love the Glove Party

Macs grow larger than childrens.
Childreni just over 3 feet (1 metre)
Macs at 43-47 inches (110-120cm)
Childrens have smallish faded redish dark spots over a tan or blonde background.
Macs have Darkly well defined spots that may join to form larger blotches or wavy lines.
Macs markings never fade as opposed to childreni,stimpsoni etc.

Ahhh but now you do RK and thats the glory of APS lots of hobbyists sharing info to educate the rest of the users.I myself have listened to the wrong crowd in regards to keeping snakes (I am pretty trusting and believe everything im told lol) but a recent conversation with Paul Berridge and a few others here at APS it seems I was taking wrong advice from more than 1 so called big time breeders.I feel dooped in the way I have been keeping my collection in the past but I thank all the help I have recieved from great people here for setting me in the right direction.

If it helps, I went through exactly the same thing when I bought my first snakes.

I made the mistake of asking for a children's python. Spotted pythons are in the same family, or sub-group, and I called it a childrens for about 6 months before my error was corrected (by someone on this site).

It may help to take a look at my photos :
http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

In this gallery, there's a photo of one of my spotted's sheds, showing the difference in the head scalation between the two.

Good luck - it ain't easy! :lol:

thanks for the tips guys. Is there any species you would recommend over the other. My enclosure is 100 long, 40 high, 40 deep.
Can green tree snakes be kept in an enclosure of this size or do they have to have more hight?

i have childrens and from pictures in books compared to macs childrenii seem to have larger blotches that blend in with the background colour while spotteds have smaller blotches that are more distinct.

i think that a green tree snake would fit in an enclosure that size and i also think that they only eat frogs .

Someone here (I think) has a green tree snake which has been housed over a pond and eats feeder fish from the pond, can't remember who exactly.... :?

Pretty small for an active species like Green tree snake but you could do it. I wouldn't reccomend it but I'm no expert. They are usually fed fish in captivity. :D

We had a conversation with a well known snake person a week or so ago and from what he was saying all snakes will eat fish.The only stipulation was not to feed fish with spikes and not to feed exclusively.The recommendation was whitebait.(Greg might like to wade in on that comment :p ).
For any beginners thinking of their first snake,as far as Childreni v Spotted is concerned they are both excellent beginners snakes,dont mind being handled and are generally placid.
Looks/pattern wise the pattern on childreni will fade over time whereas Spotted don't.
Whaa as far as preference goes I much prefer Spotted over Childreni in particular Cape Yorks(blondes) IMHO much better looking.As far as temperament and husbandry goes they are much of a muchness,you wont go wrong with either type.

cheers M........

well if green tree snakes only eat fish and frogs then I think I'll give it miss. Go for someting a little eaiser. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any for sale anywhere on the net.
Well back to the drawing board. I've only got another 9 months till next breading season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back