Spotted Python belly discolouration

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanie123

Reaction score
My spotted python has got these rough, dark brown (where normally creamy white) scales on his belly. I've tried washing them off but they're not budging. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just hoping it's not scale rot. There is a chance he has retained a full shed. He has been looked after by my mother for the past 6 weeks so I'm not sure when the discolouration started. Any advice you can give me would be great. Also, if you know of a great reptile vet on the Sunshine Coast I would really appreciate a name. Thank you.

View attachment 20180224_132944.jpg

View attachment 20180224_132937.jpg

View attachment 20180224_132914.jpg

View attachment 20180224_132909.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/reptile-vets-in-australia.218461/
Check out reply number 9.
Re your python, I can't see your photos for some reason. By your description, it could be old shed, or your python may have slid through its poop. Sometimes even washing won't get it off if it has got under the scales. Keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. If it does, get to a vet. If not, wait until the next shed to see if it goes away.

Those scales look normal to me and I certainly wouldn't personally worry about scale rot unless one of my snakes was always in the water dish or had a particularly damp enclosure for some reason. (Some do love to play the game of tipping the water dish over)

pinefamily thank you for the link, I will check it out.
Pauls Pythons, it has just been unusually humid around here lately so I'm worried that could have some effect.
The rough feel of the discoloured scales is what's really worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back