Spotted python incubation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
Hey reptile gurus. I'm getting uploadfromtaptalk1406448620817.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406448631510.jpgprepared as I'm potentially about to have my first clutch of spotted python eggs. The only issue I'm having so far is humidity. critique my pictures, let me know if it's a good design etc. Main question- can it be TOO humid? I have a digital gauge and it's showing -- which I'm pretty sure means out of limits.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406448458996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406448458996.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 252
i had my spotteds eggs in a home made incubator (bar fridge) and on perlight with a mix of 50/50 so 50g of water 50 g of perlight. and they where in a sealed container, i whould haft to get the condensation of the lid twice a day to make sure the eggs don't get water on them.

i also saw how your tub sits on or close to the heat cord just try to make sure the bottom of the egg dosent get hotter than the top and have to many changes in the temps

hope all goes well ;)

Thanks. Yeah L didn't know which way to do it, but over water seems to be the way to go.... Apparently. The heat cord is under the container and there is water between the eggs and heat cord. Should be pretty even temperature. Hopefully

The reason you get condensation is temperature diff. on each side of a surface why not look once a day in the afternoon when the ambient is not as great, another point you didn't mention what temp. you are cooking your eggs at....if you are super worried about condensation you could incubate at a slightly lower temp they will just take a bit longer thats all....solar 17 ~B~

I have it regulating at 31 degrees. So will too much humidity be bad? Might just have to make some air holes

Your overall setup isn't to bad. As long as the eggs arn't in direct contact with the substrate, then it's not possible to have too much humidity.

I can see you're trying the "over water" method. This would have to be the best and safest method around.
Just a tip (incase you're not aware already), add some substrate to the water, e.g vermiculite, perlite (the end result should be very wet/runny substrate, not water with bits of floating substrate in it). This works exactly the same as using 100% water, except it stops the water from splashing around to much and wetting the eggs when moving the tub.

In regards to your heatcord setup, I would strongly recommend adding some sort of spacer between the tub and the heatcord (you could use PVC pipe cut to little rings). The idea is to heat the contents of the tub with the air temperature, if the tub is directly on the cord, then it will generate too much heat at the base of the tub (acting more like a heat matt), which will cause condensation to gather on the lid of the tub (because of the temperature difference between the top and bottom of the tub), which can cause water to drop on the eggs. This can be fatal for the eggs.

As well as adding a spacer between the cord and the tub. If you run some of the cord up the sides of the incubator, it will help distribute the heat evenly and should stop the lid from gathering condensation.

l agree with RSPcrazy on his post but l have been using the water over method with snakes and birds since l was a young bloke with nothing in it but he does have a point on the splash effect if you are not carefull, but one other point to consider is the size of your incubator compared to your egg container is that your have "very little" room for "sink value" in other words if the day temps rise to say 35-40c your eggs will cook because you have no room for bottles of cold water/ice or with a power loss bottles of warm/hot water, l remember back in the 90's when a mate a mine lost (11) woma eggs from overheating and womas were then $2500 each :( solar 17 ~B~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back