squeaky long neck

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakynuts

Reaction score
hi, ive tried looking for answers to my question on the web and keep getting mixed answers. Well i have a eastern long neck turtle and he is 7 years old and recently we have heard him squeak, (sounds like a puppy) at first we all thought it was cute but im a little concerned. He seems super healthy, eats a variety of food, in a heated fish tank,follows and is very territorial for a little fella lol! It seems like he is calling for someone when he squeaks, ive read its normal and turtles have a variety of ways to communicate or he is sick, any advice would be great! :)

Squeaking in most reptiles means respiratory infection, so you may like to get it checked out.

It's normally due to lack of or incorrect heat, but it varies from reptile to reptile eg Keeping desert animals to humid can cause it.... obviously not with turtles.

i understand and your point is well understood, but it does not happen all the time. It is strange, as i have his tank at perfect temp all year round. The only thing i can think of (biggest change in Chopper (my turtle) life) is since i moved into my girlfriend house is the lid from his tank has been taken off! Does this hold the heat,humidity in? But i must add the temp of our house is always at perfect temp too. Ok here is the weird part, I have hidden from him and watched him eat,come to surface and breath,bask,sleep and no squeak but when someone is close to the room or walks past he squeaks. Only since now i live with my girl and her parents this has occured (who have never owned reptiles but absolutely love him and i think have claimed Chopper as theirs, i think he has been milking them for food) as they used to drop him a meal worm every couple of hrs or so when im at work. I have since hidden the food from them. Im stumped and yes i will be taking him for a check up but would like to know if turtles can communicate like ive read!

Turtles breathe through a tube in the lower part of the mouth, they cannot vocalise through their throat.

Is it spending long periods of time on its dry area?

Something is definately wrong. Probably a respiratory infection as previously stated. Healthy turtles do not dock at night time. Will need a vet visit. Make sure they do NOT use Baytril as this can kill turtles.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back