Stable Heat Source

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Guys an Lady's I have been looking for a better source of heating, in the past I have Used Exotera globes, I have found they keep blowing every 2-3 weeks wich is rather costly, when I had a carpet we used a milo tin and adapted standard light fitting in, this worked really well. Problem was it was bulky and awkward, is there a better system maybe a flood light it needs to keep the hot spot at 36-38. im keeping a range of animals or starting to collect them again From Pygmy Pyhtons, water pythons, Stripe tail pygmy moniters, beared dragon, woma python.
Cheers

Hey,
Guys an Lady's I have been looking for a better source of heating, in the past I have Used Exotera globes, I have found they keep blowing every 2-3 weeks wich is rather costly, when I had a carpet we used a milo tin and adapted standard light fitting in, this worked really well. Problem was it was bulky and awkward, is there a better system maybe a flood light it needs to keep the hot spot at 36-38. im keeping a range of animals or starting to collect them again From Pygmy Pyhtons, water pythons, Stripe tail pygmy moniters, beared dragon, woma python.
Cheers

Have you considered using a CHE for heat and LEDs for visible light?

I had looked at them but wasn't to sure how good they are. I like LEDS so yer. Feed back on the CHE would be good.

CHE have a long life ive had the same one in my tank for 2 years and it gets to the heat i need still.

I swapped from a red heat globe to a CHE and it's fantastic.

I have a CUE that's going on for eight years old. It runs on a thermostat and has only ever been turned off to move enclosure from one house to another.

Strange that the ExoTerra spotties are blowing, wiring issue, or thermostat issue, maybe? What kind of thermostat are you using? If it is a on/off, or pulse, that could be your problem right there. Basking lights don't like being turned off and on constantly.

I'm not sure about pythons, but for your beardies/monitors, you should be looking at a CHE for maintaining enclosure temp, and a basking light to get your basking temp right.

The light was running on a constant not a thermostat. I have now got one I'm not sure how good it is wasn't cheap off memory.

I had an issue with blowing globes too, but a friend told me handling the globes without a tissue/cloth would cause the life of them to shorten dramatically. I haven't blown a globe in 3 months since using this method.

I spoke to a store they stopped stocking globes due to them blowing all the time.

Sounds like that shop just doesn't want the responsibility of customer returns. Basking globes/MVB's, are the only true way to get a proper basking spot. I've had mine for 3 months with no issue, others have had theirs for a couple of years, no issue.
You may have gotten some from a bad batch, or the store may be rough handling them, causing the elements to be more fragile than usual.

Handling them with cloth is a great idea, the same logic behind never touching car headlight globes with bare hands. The oil/dirt from our skin increases the heat trapped inside the globe, causing it to have a shorter life.

Most people on this forum are using basking globes, just look at the photos that are around on here. If it is a pet store, not a reptile store, that you are talking about. Then it wouldn't suprise me that they are giving bad advice. 2 out of 3 pet stores I have visited had no clue what they were talking about.

They admited that as well. I totally understand that as well.

I do prefer Reptile Radiators and CHE, I run them through pulse proportional thermostats without any problems over the last few years.

Sounds like that shop just doesn't want the responsibility of customer returns. Basking globes/MVB's, are the only true way to get a proper basking spot. I've had mine for 3 months with no issue, others have had theirs for a couple of years, no issue.
You may have gotten some from a bad batch, or the store may be rough handling them, causing the elements to be more fragile than usual.

Handling them with cloth is a great idea, the same logic behind never touching car headlight globes with bare hands. The oil/dirt from our skin increases the heat trapped inside the globe, causing it to have a shorter life.

Most people on this forum are using basking globes, just look at the photos that are around on here. If it is a pet store, not a reptile store, that you are talking about. Then it wouldn't suprise me that they are giving bad advice. 2 out of 3 pet stores I have visited had no clue what they were talking about.
Partially true mate, The oil and dirt does not trap heat in making the filament more fragile. What actually happens is the oil on the glass stops that particular spot from heating at the same rate as the rest of the glass causing it to get a minute crack in it. The inside of the globe is inert meaning that there is no reaction going on with the metal filament and the gas around it, once the glass cracks it lets in normal air which contains oxygen. The oxygen oxidises the metal filament causing it to break. This only happens with high temperatures and also more readily when you use a cheap globe with thinner glass.

I'm happy with partially true. Cheers for the correction, better than wrong information being out there :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

I'm happy with partially true. Cheers for the correction, better than wrong information being out there :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
Partially true is a lot more than some people and the outcome of your information was not changed by how you got there.

I use halogen down lights. Only need a 35w to maintain a 35 degree hot spot for pythons and a 50w for 40 degree hot spot for dragons. Pack of 4 from bunnings will set you back about $5 and they last for months.

I use halogen down lights. Only need a 35w to maintain a 35 degree hot spot for pythons and a 50w for 40 degree hot spot for dragons. Pack of 4 from bunnings will set you back about $5 and they last for months.
Do you cut the front glass off your halogen for UV as well? I have heard of people doing that but it is pretty dangerous.

No. Halogens do not produce UVB in the spectrum needed for reptiles only UVA. I use separate reptisun ho tubes for dragons and turtles. Snakes don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back