Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Discussion in 'Reptile News' started by ShnakeyGirl, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShnakeyGirl

ShnakeyGirl Well-Known Member

Published On: 1-28-2010
    Source: Geelong Advertiser

ZENA the staffordshire terrier is being hailed a hero after saving her three young owners from a menacing tiger snake.

Go to Original Article

2. Gecko75

Gecko75 Suspended Banned

the dog deserves to be put down, if a dog attacks a person or kills someone elses dog cat it gets put down, should be the same for this. real shame, bunch of tards thinking the dog did a good deed, snake wasnt doing anything, sick of hearing stuff like this happening!

3. Kitah

Kitah Subscriber Subscriber

I don't think the dog should be euthanised... the dog WAS protecting its family, its different to when a dog may just go and kill a cat or attack a human or another dog when unprovoked. To me, an animal shouldn't be punished for its instincts and what comes naturally to it, when protecting its family/ 'pack members'. Behaviour modification is the way to go, and try to train the animals- but instincts in situations like this will always prevail.

having said that though, if I were in that situation I would most certainly have called the dog off immediately and contacted a snake handler to relocate the snake a bit further away from the house. It would be nice if, for once, people would be more concerned for the welfare and lives of our natives, instead of thinking its a good thing that yet another 'menacing' snake is dead.

This is also evidence that dogs can and do kill wildlife (not just cats)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. dtulip10

dtulip10 Very Well-Known Member

i have submitted a very firm stance on how i feel about this under the comments.
    in short this dog should be put down for killing native wild life.

cheers Dayle

5. JoceyFisch

JoceyFisch Active Member

Couldn't agree with you more!

6. cris

cris Almost Legendary

The Tiger Snake has every right to live in their house, these snakes are always placid and harmless, perfectly safe to have freeranging in your house and it was here first, kill that horrible dangerous dog that protected its family. Ranting like a deluded idiot is good fun and gives reptile keepers a good image.

7. deebo

deebo Power Seller Power Seller

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. itbites

itbites Very Well-Known Member

It's sad that the snake was killed however, I agree 100% with xshadowx & cris..

Where children are concerned vens should be removed & in a situation such as this,

I believe the dog was only trying to protect her family.

9. robertirwin2008

robertirwin2008 Not so new Member

didn't sound like they where in any immediate danger the snake was still out side. but its a natural reaction for a dog to protect its family and that is how they see there owners(as family). its sad that it was killed, a snake removalist could have easily removed it from the property. i do HATE how the media portray any predator, the snake was not there to menaces them ''menacing tiger snake'' but most likely just looking for rodents that often live around any property.

10. moosenoose

moosenoose Legendary

I hope they fine the dog for killing native wildlife :lol:

11. Gecko75

Gecko75 Suspended Banned

I bet if it was a blue tongue, the dog would have protected its family again, and killed it, how does the dog know whats dangerous and what isnt?

:lol: cris and moosenoose

12. matt86

matt86 Active Member

Well that's just a stupid statement isn't it?
    Dogs protect their owners from what they perceive as danger... they do it out of love and instinct.
    Reptiles are my biggest passion in life, but I don't agree that other animals should be put down for killing them... certainly not in a situation like this.

At least a dog, for the most part, is confined to its own yard. What about all the irresponsible cat owners out there who let their pets roam around all day/night killing native wildlife - birds, reptiles, small mammals etc???

It is never the animal's fault, as they are not capable of examining a situation on the same psychological level as humans. It is usually the owners fault. In this specific example, it was nobody's fault... just an accident.

At least us reptile enthusiasts didn't get even more bad press... If the dog hadn't been around, it might have been a headline like 'Evil, satanic Tiger snake stalks small child, waits for opportune moment, then bites.'

13. Mighty_Moose

Mighty_Moose Well-Known Member

What i'm finding hard to piece together is they say that it was coiled up in a corner AND they hav'nt seen a snake in 10 years i don't know how a staffy's defenssive instincts point towards a snake ? I don't understand how the natural instinct is not investigate first. Where the staffy comes from i don't think there would be any snakes .. These are just questions, Also a snake couldnt hear them scream so I wouldn't know what made the dog 'instajib' the snake They would of had to cause i big load of commotion .. Anyway I don't see why the dog should be put down if people that kill as 'defence' don't get in much trouble if any.

14. jack

jack Very Well-Known Member

a simple analysis of hospital admission records would undoubtedly demonstrate that dangerous dogs do more damage to children than timid tigers...

15. matt86

matt86 Active Member

Agreed Jack...
    I don't think anyone on here would argue that point :)

16. jinin

jinin Very Well-Known Member

These stories are really getting on my nerves!
    The dog would have killed it anyway.... if it happened to be a Python it would have killed it, if it happened to be a Lizard it would have killed it! Just so happens it was a tiger snake therefore the dogs a hero! Thanks god the dog got the snake before it wiped out the neighbor hood!

17. MarcAtterton

MarcAtterton Not so new Member

the family left the door open,, what do they expect, the snake to knock and wipe its tail before entering,.

18. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

Yep a sad situation, that one the dog wasn't protecting anyone, dogs just kill small animals for fun and territory. and two the parents have now well and truly imprinted fear of snakes onto the kids.

This is exactly the type of reaction to snakes that is based on complete fear, and the snake ends up dead.

These people need education, the right thing to have done is keep everyone away including the dog, keep an eye on it and call a catcher.

The dog was very lucky, and in this case if the snake had tagged the dog and either killed it or made it crook it would have only given these people more fuel to keep the snake fear fire alive.

I feel sorry for the kids, the truth and reality about snakes is now almost unobtainable.

19. kkjkdt1

kkjkdt1 Well-Known Member

i get alot of tiger snakes in my back yard and my dog always bails them up( and yes she is a staffy as well) she never kills/hurts them but goes off until i come out to see whats going on - she has a totally different bark when it comes to snakes.
    so while she is keeping an eye on the snake i get my trusy 12g(JOKE), I GET A MATE TO COME AROUND AND REMOVE IT.
    just my little ramble

20. craig.a.c

craig.a.c Suspended Banned

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Do you have young children? I don't think you would be singing the same song about tigers being "harmless" if your kids or yourself got bitten by one (and not getting medical help, yeah, real harmless). Get off your high horse. As it was said earlier, the dog WAS protecting its "family".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.