Steve Irwin's Wildlife Warriors a new series on Australia's Network Ten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know during my relocating days I come across quite a few people who said the only reason they called me was because their son/daughter loved Steve Irwin and begged them not to kill the snake. I know a lot of people say he annoyed the animals , but I think it was a small price to pay for all the attitudes he changed towards snakes and crocs.

Personally I think he was and is still a great wildlife advocate. However I think he almost makes handling deadly animals look to easy and that gives a false sense ability to the people who don't know any better.

I must say that I agree with coppersimon. But this is only my personal opinion. I have nothing against Steve and newer met him. He could be great guy. Definitely great businessman and entertainer.

I know during my relocating days I come across quite a few people who said the only reason they called me was because their son/daughter loved Steve Irwin and begged them not to kill the snake. I know a lot of people say he annoyed the animals , but I think it was a small price to pay for all the attitudes he changed towards snakes and crocs.

Totally Right. It was a small price to pay for conservation. And the way those animals sometimes got stressed. It will stop those animals from coming into human conflict because people do a lot worse then stressing the animal.

Last edited:
It always amuses me how the herp community in Oz is like some sort of extreme "Days of our Lives". I met him years ago seemed like a nice guy and I do know he did an awful lot of good. When news come through about what happened I was in Vietnam and suddenly started getting phone calls, girls were in their offices crying and so on. So nobody can take away the good work and global impact he had. Sure he had a few odd ideas that I might not agree with, but who doesn't? Some of the things I have said and done at times I cringe at myself.

My only issue these days is over what happened after, so for that reason I won't have anything to do with these shows and the 'franchise'. On the plus side this is all fairly tame compared to what was going on in the 80's.

I love him. When I first heard about him I thought to myself, "look at this idiot, he's gonna get him self killed just to get famous" but when I actually sat down and watched his show he infected me with his enthusiasm for conservation, while bringing the beauty of reptiles to the rest of the world. Tbh, if I ran into a snake at home before this transformation, I'd probably have killed it :(

I also did not agree with his views on reptiles in captivity, but nobody's perfect and everyone's entitled to his own opinion. Don't forget there are probably many ppl in the hobby who probably shouldn't be allowed to keep reptiles:
irresponsible ppl, ppl just in it for the money who don't care for their reps properly, people dealing with wild caught wildlife or actually poaching wild animals, etc

Not to mention all of our wildlife that is being smuggled out of the country. I could see where he was coming from, but i don't think a ban on keeping captive bred reptiles is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
channel 10's website may post it after it has aired, not sure whether international viewers can watch it though. The Irwin's fan base is largely American so it should only be a matter of time for it to be available there, one would think.
Thanks crocodile_dan! You're right. Ch 10 does show videos. I'll watch it there. :D

Last edited:
l am nuetral on Steve Irwin but you cant deny what he did for our wildlife and tourism if everybody did half of that we would be laughing as a country.......solar 17 (baden)

[FONT=&quot]That's awesome to hear that some of you had the privilege of meeting him. I wish I did. [/FONT]:cry:[FONT=&quot]
I totally understand those who are defending their rights to own herps. I get it. I also understand animal lovers who don't want them harassed. But I do agree with the camp that feels that the so-called harassment was a small price to pay for the ultimate goal of education and tolerance. I feel he did more good in his short life than most. Steve Irwin truly lived and died for the animals. His passion and love of life was absolutely contagious. It was infectious! My kids and I miss him so much. I can't even imagine the void his family feels with his loss. But I'm glad to know his family is trying their best to continue his legacy. Greatness only comes around once in a lifetime, and Steve Irwin was one of the greats. When I make a movie about his life someday, I'm going to cast Russel Crowe. [/FONT];)

Last edited:
whilst i do like steve irwin , and will always respect him for the good he did in opening peoples eyes to our wildlife and i think everyone should respect him on those grounds , i can see where alot of people are coming from with the tormenting of reptiles and such i mean how many young boys grabbed a python by the tail and pulled it out of the bush after watching the great irwin do it ? ill admit i did it a few times when i was a youngster as i didn't know any better , and in alot of ways that attitude towards animals is what led to his demise , im sure alot of us have heard about how he just wouldn't leave that stingray alone , but at the same time i think people should respect him for the good he did do

Last edited:
So am I, he was a little annoying but it's his wife that I can't stand.

AMEN to that lol!

And his daughter Bindi gets on my nerves in a super major way! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I think his kids get exploited in the media far too much.They seem to be the entire advertising department for australia zoo/wildlifewarriors

Just out of interest, where can I find a record of Steve being against private reptile keeping?

I have found comments in other threads on APS, but I'm curious for more on what (and when) he actually said.

what do yours mean he tormented aniamals, what do you think your doing when you put your aniamals in small cages and pull them out when you feel like it. STEVE IRWIN loved all aniamals and i never seen him hert any of them,half you people wouldent be interrested in reptiles if it wasent for people like steve,if youve got nothing nice to say about someone shut your hole

what do yours mean he tormented aniamals, what do you think your doing when you put your aniamals in small cages and pull them out when you feel like it. STEVE IRWIN loved all aniamals and i never seen him hert any of them,half you people wouldent be interrested in reptiles if it wasent for people like steve,if youve got nothing nice to say about someone shut your hole

Mathew13 this is a forum, people are allowed to express their views, even if they differ from yours.

I am Neutral with Steve Irwin, however I don't know if people have read some of the weird things he's said to American magazines in interviews, talking about the Karma he exudes from his fingertips and the likes ...........

Herp Expert Steve Irwin Interview - Part 2

what do yours mean he tormented aniamals, what do you think your doing when you put your aniamals in small cages and pull them out when you feel like it.

Apples and oranges mate... People are referring to the way he handled/disrupted wildlife for the sake of his show.

STEVE IRWIN loved all aniamals and i never seen him hert any of them,half you people wouldent be interrested in reptiles if it wasent for people like steve

That's laughable mate... I definitely don't keep herps because Steve Irwin played with them on television.

if youve got nothing nice to say about someone shut your hole

Stop being so sensitive. We don't all have to love him, I couldn't care less about the bloke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back