sticky snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmit

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys woke up this moring to find our spotted python underneath his heat tile to fix that problem we have bought a heat mat and problems fixed im juts wondering we had electrical tape holding the heat cord up and he has made friends with it and now he is sticky we have soaked him in warm water and tryed to gentley wipe it off to no prevail just wondering if anyone kbows of and nifty little tricks or will we have to wait ubtill he sheds

well you shouldnt be using tape in his tank and im not sure what you should do

try some olive oil ...i've heard that will remove sticky ... i'm not sure tho as ive never had to try it

Ok thanks heaps guys keep them coming if you uave any other ones

eucalyptus oil also works on Sticky .... but i would try olive oil 1st

If the sticky spot is only in a small area, you could try a little metho on a clean dry cloth. Obviously don't go too close to his face though.

olive oil (or any cooking oil) works fine. You don't need any other options, just use this method.

Any vegetable oil will work. Don't buy a bottle of olive oil if you don't already have some on hand. I use to use them sticky cockroach traps until a little garden skink ran across it and got stuck. I dropped blobs of oil around his feet and used a cotton bud to slowly lift his feet up and off, just one little step at a time. Took me 15 minutes but the little lizard got to run home and tell his story of how he was rescued by a giant.

sorry for the little hijack but it might still help the op in the future

i know that tape in an enclosure is a no no , but what about blue tack does it still do the same thing , its non toxic so no problem there but does it stick to snakes like tape does and what about using it in areas that have slight heat nothing major just 30-32 basking spot temps , im thinking about using at to hold a thermostat probe in place as i dont really have any other options that i can think of

all my probes r held on mats with electrical tape...never a prob.....:)

^ Not yet, perhaps. And possibly never...why risk it though?

Way too many instances of injury to animals due to tape in enclosures. There are cheap and easy alternatives readily available, so IMO, continuing to use tape makes absolutely no sense.

we have bought a heat mat
can i have the heat cord when i come up for you B'Day??

we have bought a heat mat
can i have the heat cord when i come up for you B'Day??

- - - Updated - - -

next time insted of buying a holw new heating thin you could of got some nox-toxic silicon and silicon around the edges of the tile with the heat cord. and if you ever need to get it off you just get a razor blade and slice the silicon of. :)

Blake

Last edited:
please don't use eucalyptus oil, it's actually poisonous to most animals including humans if you read the lable, if you ever use this on any animal please thoroughly wash the animal in warm soapy water to dissolve it and remove it from their skin or coat. use some metho as it will evaporate and not leave a residue or oil or warm soapy water

I think we will just go the el natural way and wait for him to shed, which is soon.. He just has a little bit of sticky reson on him. But it's not bad as if where ever he goes his getting everything stuck to him, we where told by a breeder that electrical tape was ok, but obviously not...

I think we will just go the el natural way and wait for him to shed, which is soon.. He just has a little bit of sticky reson on him. But it's not bad as if where ever he goes his getting everything stuck to him, we where told by a breeder that electrical tape was ok, but obviously not...

- - - Updated - - -

I.defs wouldnt use eulcaplitus oil as it burns my skin do you thibk waiting to his next shed would be the safest?

You need a solvent for the adhesive used on the tape. So take a small piece of tape and see if oil first and then metho, if needed, will dissolve it. If you need to use metho, just remember it is volatile and stinks and snakes don’t like it near their nose any more than we do. Neither of these two are harmful to the skin and they can both be washed of with detergent and warm water.

Different brand electrical tapes use different adhesives. The tape is both an electrical insulator and a thermal insulator and will cause some heat build up underneath it. Aluminium tape is designed for use on warm surfaces – heat readily passes through it and the adhesive is heat resistant.

Instead of tape, I’d recommend using a thin piece of MDF, sawn or routed with channels to hold the cord in place, and then put your tile on top. Tile and base can be clipped together with metal paper holders, the metal spring out of certain clothes pegs, blobs of Blutack or a thin wood edging strip tacked and /or glued to the edge of the base, allowing the tile to be dropped in.

Blutack does become more fluid with increasing temperature but I have had laminated posters put up with it that did not fall off in 35[SUP]o[/SUP]C+ heat. So try it see. Odds on it will be OK.

Manda is quite correct about eucalyptus oil. In its concentrated liquid form it is quite deadly to cells and as timmit pointed out, stings the skin. I recall reading a post somewhere about a fellow who picked up a tick on his scrotum. He’d heard that eucalyptus oil kills ticks. So he went ahead and applied a liberal dose to the parasite and surrounding flesh. Apparently he gave quite an excellent impromptu performance of river dance before he regained sufficient composure to disrobe and head for the shower.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back