Still hiding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi guys, I’m still having problems with my darwin not showing herself.

She used to only show up at night and cruise around but now she never shows herself except sticking her head out rarely

The temperatures at 28~30~32C which I’m slowly lowering for about 16hours a day

I’m not sure if it’s because she has no need to come out (not hungry etc) because I’m feeding her decent sized food every few weeks to get her nice and big.
She eats and digests fine.

I’m just worried because I don’t want to keep disturbing her to make sure she’s still kicking.

I’ve tried covering enclosure with a towel to give privacy and still nothing :(

I had to get her out because she pooped in her box and soggied it all up, and she is in great condition.

My coastal won’t stop moving in his enclosure, and she won’t move.

Should I be worried or is it just something some snakes do?
I try to keep interaction as minimal as possible since she started going introvert

Last edited:
Its a snake mate the dont do much alot of the time! I keep my darwins hot spot around the 33-35 mark ..imo 28 -32 might be a bit low for a darwin though

Its a snake mate the dont do much alot of the time! I keep my darwins hot spot around the 33-35 mark ..imo 28 -32 might be a bit low for a darwin though
I’m trying this whole cooling thing out, 28-30 imo is better than 15 ambient :p

Just worried that she never comes out anymore

No where to hide

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The poop scooping area

image.jpg

[doublepost=1527647395,1527646658][/doublepost]You can flat cool hey 12 and 12 just make sure she is reaching those optimal temps shire spoke of. I'm up in the tropics about now I would start put every thing on a timer if I intended to breed
[doublepost=1527647584][/doublepost]Provided you don't live in a really cold place. I don't provide any night time heat when cooling. 17 is about as cold as winter can get here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m trying this whole cooling thing out, 28-30 imo is better than 15 ambient :p

Just worried that she never comes out anymore
28-30 is better Compared to 15 ambient ? Little confused by that statement ? Think you maybe going about this whole cooling thing a little wrong ?
[doublepost=1527648338,1527648127][/doublepost]I dont provide nighttime heat period (once over about 18mths) to my pythons at all . When Cooling , hot spot remains the same temp just reduced from about 14hrs in summer gradually down to 8 hrs in winter .

28-30 is better Compared to 15 ambient ? Little confused by that statement ? Think you maybe going about this whole cooling thing a little wrong ?
[doublepost=1527648338,1527648127][/doublepost]I dont provide nighttime heat period (once over about 18mths) to my pythons at all . Cooling hot spot remains the same just reduced from about 1 in summer gradually down to 8 hrs in winter .
ah... thought im meant to lowering it gradually to around 28~ at 12 on and 12 off,

Im not claiming to know all but your snake should be able to get access to a hotspot maybe a little warmer than that especially while cooling , after a cool night they will want to bask and get there temp up fairly quickly .

They say a night drop of 3 or 5 degrees is all that's needed. I'm a firm believer without ever proving it to myself cooling isn't even neccery given the time they spend off their belly heat. Others could argue your asking for trouble slugs layed etc and possibly rightly soo.

They say a night drop of 3 or 5 degrees is all that's needed. I'm a firm believer without ever proving it to myself cooling isn't even neccery given the time they spend off their belly heat. Others could argue your asking for trouble slugs layed etc and possibly rightly soo.
i like to think that my snake will know what its doing :p if it wants cool, it will go to the cool, if it needs heat she will go to the heat etc, she could be hiding because its not hot enough, so i bumped it up a few degrees and will see

Environmental stress or she just hates you or something hahaha ban me. Or she could just want to hide. Never actually paid that much attention to the window lickers.

Environmental stress or she just hates you or something hahaha ban me. Or she could just want to hide. Never actually paid that much attention to the window lickers.
She was really good in her click clack but she outgrew that like a weed

Ok she is still a young python? I’m working keeping them in racks but pythons 7ft or so 10 Years or getting there I like to move on. Start to wonder when they going to cark it. I do feed to breed though. A lot of breeders are going the slow grow method but I got to gut that fish.

Ok she is still a young python? I’m working keeping them in racks but pythons 7ft or so 10 Years or getting there I like to move on. Start to wonder when they going to cark it. I do feed to breed though. A lot of breeders are going the slow grow method but I got to gut that fish.
shes exactly 18months on 1st of june

My male in the the pic above is two i grew him fast but as you see backed off his actually a healthy alb from retained sperm clutch I bred.
I like to have females ready to breed at 2.5 although 3.5 is recommended some people power feed and crack them at 18 months

My male in the the pic above is two i grew him fast but as you see backed off his actually a healthy alb from retained sperm clutch I bred.
I like to have females ready to breed at 2.5 although 3.5 is recommended some people power feed and crack them at 18 months
shes def not ready to breed :p shes quite big for her age, but still small compared to breeder females ive seen

Yeah Darwin’s can pretty slow growing my first female two year old I got from sxr was ready to breed and but I gave her another year.

Last edited:
Yeah Darwin’s can pretty slow growing my first female two year old I got from sxr was ready to breed and but I gave her another year.
ive turned the heat up and shes already popped her head out, would this be its too hot? i put a bigger hide into her cool end, and it looked like she was smelling it, and she saw me and went straight back under

I don’t know I was told they don’t need a hide although they will utilise it,,, where would you hide if you were a snake to give the best possible chance of selection. I’d be snuggling in that hide. Don’t even get a perch at my place but I use small hides in my cb 70s just got 111 dollars worth if pvc black medium plastic hides to put over their hot spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back