still wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
I tried to feed my coastal a freshly killed rat pup and once again she showed no interest, it is almost a month since she has eaten. When should I start to worry(like I am not already)? I am going to put her in a small box with the rpup and see if that encourages her to eat it. :(
Moses

Snakes can go months and months without eating.Remember that they can stop all together over winter.You should start to 'worry' when she starts losing condition, which shouldn't be for a while. Remember though, because you see her often, you mightn't notice a gradual decline in body mass until it has become dramatic. This is where weighing your animals comes in. :)

Hi Moses

there are lots of factors that can affect your snakes desire to eat. These are things I can think of.

Snake not 'generally' warm enough and has no confidence in it's ability to digest a meal.

Snake not hungry.

Snake not used to prey item as a food source (try a mouse of appropriate size)

Prey item too big or too small.

Prey item too cold (put in a plastic bag and drop in warm water till it feels warm to your touch).

Snake prefers to eat in the dark.

Snake very young and not yet ready to eat.

There are bound to be more but this might help. 8)

I have increased the heat in the tank, icreased the wattage of the heat bulb from 65-100 and added a night glow bulb of 65 w to keep it warmer at night. I will offer her food again on monday, tried on the monday gone and no luck. :?
Moses

Is this your first snake?How old is the snake?Was the snake eating prior to you getting it?If so what was it eating?

Apart from all the suggestions so far take a look at how your snake is kept.
Is the encloser in a quiet room?How often are you handling the snake?How often are you checking on the snake?

If the snake were mine I would keep it in a very quiet place and not disturb it for at least a week then I would get a rat pup or mouse,whatever and place it just outside the hide then once again leave it alone.

You can also try moving the prey very slowly at the hide entrance very slowly for a minute or two,sometimes it can work.If it doesnt work just leave it at the hide entrance overnight with no disturbance.

cheers

Fangs - Moses' snake has been eating for him but suffered an injury recently and has gone off her food as a result. He is doing all the right stuff but it can be pretty stressful when your snake is not eating. :D
Moses - keep at it, she'll eat for you. Sounds like she has recovered well. :D

thanx magpie,
Sorry moses disregard what I had to say.I forgot you had the injured snake.

good luck

Thank you all for your concern and input it is greatly appreciated and helpfull.
Moses

I increased the heat light to 100w and added a 65w night glo bulb for the night and it seems to be benefiting the snake, she is more out of her hid and basking and at night she is climing on her branches(new) and basking in the night glo heat. Will try feed her tomorrow, hope it works, if not will probably stat pulling my hair out.
Moses

Good news moses,
Looks like your on the right track.Does she look like she is hunting or just checking out the new branches? Either way though it looks like she is ok.

:)

may have been looking for food Fangs, hopefully. Her scabs are off, except for one spot, but all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back