Stimson help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_juggalo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys have a a small stimson for about a week now and so far it has escaped the container that it was in several times. After being biten by him on numerous attempts to place it back in, I gave up and let it go free in the larger enclosure.
Will this affect its development in anyway, it seems to of settled in and doesn't seem stressed as it is freely roaming the habitat.
Also he keeps climbing the thermostat's probe and giving false reading to it. Do they normally do that sort of thing.
IMG_2868.jpgIMG_2869.jpg
Also is the setup adequate for this type of python?

i personally would raise the probe out of reach...or bring from the ground up instead. my stimmies look about the same size and I am paranoid every time I hear them thump on the plastic which would be a drop of about 12cm from the top of the click clack. If mine were up that high i wouldnt be able to sleep at night!

you could buy some conduit to go around the cord of the probe and that way he won't be able to climb it.

Looks like you are heating from above , it is most likely trying to get up high and get some heat ...
Really not the best way to heat a cage for a little stimmi like that , better of with ground heat.

Looks like you are heating from above , it is most likely trying to get up high and get some heat ...
Really not the best way to heat a cage for a little stimmi like that , better of with ground heat.
There is a heat mat under the end of the cage aswell, the light is set to a timer to come on at night, because the heat mat alone was not enough heat. Also only put the lamp on to get a photo

I was freaking at every thump and had no idea what the hell was going on the first few nights, but I'm guessing that it just likes it space.

I have move the thermostat higher, hopefully this stops it.

you could buy some conduit to go around the cord of the probe and that way he won't be able to climb it.
No No No unless sealed on the ends or the worm will get stuck up there8)

There is a heat mat under the end of the cage aswell, the light is set to a timer to come on at night, because the heat mat alone was not enough heat. Also only put the lamp on to get a photo

I was freaking at every thump and had no idea what the hell was going on the first few nights, but I'm guessing that it just likes it space.

I have move the thermostat higher, hopefully this stops it.
Do alittle homework as this size Stimi should be still in a 10 lt click clack spesh since u said it bites........Pm me if u cant do ya homework
Ta
Pete

No No No unless sealed on the ends or the worm will get stuck up there8)

I mean the clip on conduit, not the circular kind. You can remove the front facing panel and you can get it small enough to sit snugly around one cord.

If you are using a heat mat the probe should be on the heat mat to make sure it can't over heat and set fire to your enclosure. Put a hide over the warm area and you stimmie will spend time in there warming up instead of trying to climb up to your lamp. Don't worry about night temp drops as the warm hide is a nice little micro climate for it, this is what they do in the wild.

Get a small sistema plastic tub, drill some small holes in it for ventilation, put the heatmat under it and then put the thermostat probe over where the heatmat sits in the tub. Problem solved...

Lots of help thanks heaps guys, I checked out a fact sheet that I found online and that was the positioning that it stated, only reason I put it there.
It gave me a rough size for the click clack. But the one I was using was a 10lt one and he busted out but he seems ok in the larger cage but without knowing the psychological effects of it, that is why I asked. The guy at the pet shp said it would be ok as long as it was kept dark, which it is until the kids want to look at it

ok took the advice about the thermostat but this is what I found when I went to check on it.
IMG_2954.jpg
Seems the mat is heating up the hide so he chooses to lay on it

Last edited:
Hi guys have a a small stimson for about a week now and so far it has escaped the container that it was in several times. After being biten by him on numerous attempts to place it back in, I gave up and let it go free in the larger enclosure.
Will this affect its development in anyway, it seems to of settled in and doesn't seem stressed as it is freely roaming the habitat.
Also he keeps climbing the thermostat's probe and giving false reading to it. Do they normally do that sort of thing.
View attachment 285984View attachment 285985
Also is the setup adequate for this type of python?
i need to just ask...that probe looks like the ones that just Take the temp???.....r u sure u r running an thermostate on your heat mat as this is a critical part of your set up.....plz list all your equipment so we can evaluate your set up

Lots of help thanks heaps guys, I checked out a fact sheet that I found online and that was the positioning that it stated, only reason I put it there.
It gave me a rough size for the click clack. But the one I was using was a 10lt one and he busted out but he seems ok in the larger cage but without knowing the psychological effects of it, that is why I asked. The guy at the pet shp said it would be ok as long as it was kept dark, which it is until the kids want to look at it

ok took the advice about the thermostat but this is what I found when I went to check on it.
Seems the mat is heating up the hide so he chooses to lay on it
If it is getting too hot then either you have no thermostat as suggested above by Ozmid or the thermostat isn't working properly or it is set too high.

It is a thermostat, I made sure by testing the outlets on it with the light and placing the probe into hot water and it gave correct readings.
All I have is a thermostat, heat mat, red light, 2 store bought hides (1 log and 1 skull), 2 squashed toilet rlls and a small debarked branch.
So it is a pretty basic kit. Thermostat is set to 30 degrees with a 2 degree difference before alarm sounds and mat goes off

Just because you set the thermostat at 30 degrees doesn't always means that it gives you 30 degrees. Get a thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back