Stimsons Off Food In Summer - Same Advice As Winter?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been reading up on the advice given for pythons who/which are not feeding. As those posts and replies mainly seem to concern being off food in the winter, would the same advice stand for summer? She has currently not eaten since 29/12/16 which is uncharacteristic for her.

Details - 2 yr old Stimsons, sex unknown (we say she/her). We have had her for exactly 1 year and she is very well natured, seemingly healthy and usually eats one hopper rat per week, about to go down to to one adult mouse every 10 days. She sheds well and regularly and can take from a few days to 2 weeks to do so and hides during these times. When not shedding she is keen to come out and be inquisitive. Her enclosure is 3x2x2 ft and has a 32 - 26 deg C gradient.
Daylight hours are periodically adjusted as per the seasons - side question: should we also adjust temps down a bit in winter?
I know this has all been covered before, so please just tell me the same advice applies to both winter and summer non-eating if this is the case, that will save you all the deja vu. Thanks in advance, Rob

Forgo to mention, overnight warm zone is set at 23 deg C

Welcome to APS.
First of all, your temps. While it has been eating with no problems, 26 might be a little on the warm side for the cool end. And if it is about 2 years old, I'd be turning the heat off during winter, and overnight (unless you are somewhere really cold).
It is a little bit early for a Stimsons to go off its food. Has it shed in that time? If it still looks in good nick, I wouldn't worry too much. They do go for long periods without eating.

Thanks for your advice. She did shed in that time, now 2 weeks ago and looks great and is behaving normally apart from feeding. Sometimes she is interested in food until she 'sees'' what it is. Maybe she is tired of the same old? I could try the soaking in chicken broth idea I read on this forum.

As for the temperature, I think it would be hard to maintain 32 at one end and less than 26 at the other. Maybe 30 - 24? Heat off in Winter in Melbourne would be ok? If we are home the fire will be on and hot. If we are not, some days only get to around 16 max inside.

When we got her she was one year old and still being fed 1 pinkie mouse a week and had a 150w heat lamp on her in a 45cmx45x45 cube!! Maybe she has just caught up on her food now and ready to slow down.

Thanks again, much appreciated, Rob

I'll leave it to any Melbourne keepers to see what they do/say. At the very least a lower daytime temp during winter, to help mimic the seasons. Brumation does give a snake more longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back