Strange bite swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentor

Active Member
Just copped an expected bite from cranky my hypo bredli. Never had immediate acute swelling in the past though. Due to proximity to wrist veins? Site was about 20c piece sized, but raised about 20mm immediately after bite. I've iced it since, and swelling is raised about 5mm. As you can see, looks kinda purple like a sub-dermal bleed or bruise. Not particularly worried, because it has all clotted and I've had all my shots. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen with a wrist bite.

602255_10152259133075492_601141634_n.jpg29393_10152259146825492_1986649346_n.jpg
 

Stuart

Site Admin
Staff member
Possible subcutaneous reaction from the saliva in the bite. Not a regular occurance but it is documented and you have done pretty much all the required steps recommended by the health professionals.

Source: Mum - Nurse
 

Cougar2007

Active Member
Yeah I have, My yearling diamond python tagged me and it swelled up. Left a small rash to. I was told it is just the bacteria in its mouth and not to worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I have, My yearling diamond python tagged me and it swelled up. Left a small rash to. I was told it is just the bacteria in its mouth and not to worry about it.
 

Serpentor

Active Member
How long did it take to swell up? Mine was within a couple of seconds, and the swelling is purple, not red, so I suspected bleed over inflammation.
Yeah I have, My yearling diamond python tagged me and it swelled up. Left a small rash to. I was told it is just the bacteria in its mouth and not to worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I have, My yearling diamond python tagged me and it swelled up. Left a small rash to. I was told it is just the bacteria in its mouth and not to worry about it.
 

fourexes

Well-Known Member
It's more to do with the body reacting with the composition of the saliva. If not seen before with similar bites it could be a case of allergen. In this case each time may perhaps get noticeably worse. It's kind of the same as me getting light dermatitis from all the chemicals I've played with over the years in my trade. Was never a problem before but progressively builds on you. 30 is about the time you start falling apart right? :p

That said there is also alot of other considerations to take into account like oral hygiene (for the snake not you)
 

Cougar2007

Active Member
Not long mate. Less than a minute. Mine didnt bruise but she is only a little fella. It was gone in 2 days
 

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
happened to be 3 days ago. yearling darwin, bitten same place but on the outside of my arm not wrist site. localised swelling for each tooth but no bruising.. id watch it looks a little nasty..
 

saintanger

Very Well-Known Member
don't worry to much, wen i was bitten by my adult childrens, my hand swelled and within a few mins it wen purple. swelling went down by the nest day but i had purple brusing for a week.
 

Serpentor

Active Member
I've run my fingers over the tooth marks and I don't feel anything. I'm actually surprised I've never had a tooth stuck in me.
 

Pauls_Pythons

Donator
Donator
Trusted Seller
The swelling is more common than thought.
Our pets mouth is host to a whole load of nasty bacteria and same as any animal bite, you can pick up infections.
 

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
The swelling is more common than thought.
Our pets mouth is host to a whole load of nasty bacteria and same as any animal bite, you can pick up infections.

Given the rate at which the swelling occurred i'd be inclined to say that the initial swelling was not related to any amount of bacteria introduced by the bite. That sort of inflammation takes a couple of hours to develop at the minimum.

It looks and sounds exactly like a blown vein, especially given the location of the bite. I've had this before and seen it in other keepers, just one great big bleed under the skin which is removed over a few hours to a day or two, can be sore for quite a while though as causes a fair bit of bruising in the local tissues. Speaking from veterinary experience and going on what we see from blown veins in many species, especially given how a cat abscess looks which develop over a period of time caused by filthy cat mouths during fights. Also going on what i've experienced personally and seen in other keepers after bites on wrists and hands.

As long as you treated the site appropriately you shouldn't worry about infection. Given that this was a few days ago my comments are rather useless but you should just treat the arm delicately for a day or two so you don't cause rebleeds. I remember seeing this done by a big olive, looked super painful.
 

mikey_mike

Active Member
You would have to be brave or foolhardy to state that infection isn't a risk. Wounds get infected every now and then. Haematomas are just potential nutrient broths for anaerobic bacteria. Be sensible and have a low threshold for seeking medical review. Bad stuff happens occasionally and forearms are useful.

Glad to hear that you've had your shots. I presume you mean that you're up to date with your tetanus vaccine. A timely reminder to us all to keep tabs on our tetanus status. Tetanus is a total drag and entirely preventable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top