Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoyces

Reaction score
As a reptile owner, I am often faced with strange questions from people. Generally I glaze over their ignorance, and general dislike for my hobby with a pleasant smile and witty remark. However we have this new office girl at my work. She's a really nice girl, don't get me wrong. The other day I was putting my job cards in and we struck up a general conversation, to which she enquired about my snake collection she heard I had. After explaing what I had, etc she proceeded to tell me she owned sausage dogs (which I like....) and how dogs are the ultimate pet, and didn't understand how I could possibly touch or even go near anything as disgusting as a snake. She than asked me, so what do you feed them, to my reply "Annoying receptionists"..... I got the death stare after that. I was wondering what other strange questions people have ever asked you in regards to keeping reptiles;- I have a few other ones listed below

"Do you let them in your house!?"
"How big do the boy snakes you know what grow!?"
"Aren't you worried about them laying babies in your bed!?"
"What if they try to eat your children!?"
"How do you know if your allergic to them!?"

These are just some of the questions I have received there are a lot more, but I am just curious as to what other questions you guys have had.

Thanks
Steph....

The best one i had was "i didnt know they ate frozen rats" - this was after a visitor was steered away from my pet freezer looking for ice for his drink after being told that's where the ratsicles were kept.

I still don't know if he was serious, but he doesn't 'get' snakes either !

The "what do you feed them" question always makes me laugh.
Nobody ever asks people what they feed their dogs or cats, it's weird.

The "what do you feed them" question always makes me laugh.
Nobody ever asks people what they feed their dogs or cats, it's weird.

I get it a lot.... Usually I just change my answer depending on my mood, sometimes I will say people, small dogs, you know that one sock that always goes missing in the dryer? I feed them that other sock.

Last edited:
My Tarantula.
"Do they jump far"
"What do you feed it"
Best part is, when I tell them and show them my Woodies Breeding colony.
That raises more questions than it answers.
:)

I get the "what do you feed them?" all the time to which I reply rats. Then I normally get "alive or already dead?", or "do you feed it to them frozen?".
"Do they bite?"
"Do they like to be cuddled?"
"How do you exercise them?"
"my dog like to watch TV with me, what about your snake?"

The second most common question I get after I say I have woma pythons is "Oooh are they venomous?"

The second most common question I get after I say I have woma pythons is "Oooh are they venomous?"

my standard answer to that one is " her kisses won't kill you but her cuddles will take your breath away" as they stare at my 8+ft coastal

"Did you get it (Bredli) de-fanged?"
"Pythons don't have fangs :rolleyes:"
"Well how does the poison get out of the sacs"
"They don't have VENOM sacs, they constrict their prey"
"So you do they try and strangle you when you open the enclosure door?"
":facepalm: "

I usually tell anyone that asks that I feed mine on stray cats and dogs but I like the annoying receptionist line....might use that one myself

i get all the usual but a bit of a stand out was from a mate about 2 days ago , we where sitting there watching my coastal just after he had been fed when he opened wide to re align his jaw , my mates response was "he must be getting tired" but in such a serious tone

or a few weeks ago hen the same guy came around when my coastal was in full shed with nice cloudy eyes , he seriously thought he was dead and that i was just ignoring it , he wouldn't listen to me about the shedding process and just kept saying "are you sure his not dead" so i ended up having to give him (the snake) a little poke to prove he was alive

i get all the usual but a bit of a stand out was from a mate about 2 days ago , we where sitting there watching my coastal just after he had been fed when he opened wide to re align his jaw , my mates response was "he must be getting tired" but in such a serious tone

or a few weeks ago hen the same guy came around when my coastal was in full shed with nice cloudy eyes , he seriously thought he was dead and that i was just ignoring it , he wouldn't listen to me about the shedding process and just kept saying "are you sure his not dead" so i ended up having to give him (the snake) a little poke to prove he was alive

baha, they certainly can look pretty dead when they get that cloudy-eyed look about them

baha, they certainly can look pretty dead when they get that cloudy-eyed look about them
ill admit it did make me laugh but mainly because of how serious he was about the whole thing , his slowly becoming a reformed snake hater so knows next to nothing factual about them but is full of the myths , he was also pretty astounded that it can take him a good week to digest and poop sometimes longer if his shedding

Probably my oddest question from a friend was "does your snake just live loose in your house?" "no it lives in a cage" "so you dont let it roam the house all day?"
A lot of people ask if it will grow into a big bone-crushing Killer Python.

Just got asked the stupidest question yet. I showed one of my friend my three year old, 1.4m woma, who is kept in a locked enclosure in my bedroom. She turned to me and said "aren't you afraid it will get out and eat you in your sleep?" :facepalm:

Probably my oddest question from a friend was "does your snake just live loose in your house?" "no it lives in a cage" "so you dont let it roam the house all day?"
A lot of people ask if it will grow into a big bone-crushing Killer Python.

I've been asked that too, and I reply not yet but when they get nice and big I will...at which point they seem like they'll be reluctant to visit anymore!:) I've also learned snakes are awesome at allowing you to breeze through a property inspection. The last one I had, the lady literally just put her head in the front door and said"the place is nice and clean" hahaha

Should save the photo paul put up of a python eating broccoli and tell them thats what they eat.. I might scream if i get told the story of the snake sizing up a human in bed again..

Should save the photo paul put up of a python eating broccoli and tell them thats what they eat.. I might scream if i get told the story of the snake sizing up a human in bed again..

When we did our ven training and and removal for work, the guys that came out for our 2 days course were great. The first thing they did was stomp out any rumours people have heard

"Hoop snakes"
Vens & Boas breeding

Some of the ones he told us, I was just sitting there going ahhhh what the? People actually believe that?

We are so going to get eaten though if a snake does that, righhhhttttt :facepalm:

When we did our ven training and and removal for work, the guys that came out for our 2 days course were great. The first thing they did was stomp out any rumours people have heard

"Hoop snakes"
Vens & Boas breeding

Some of the ones he told us, I was just sitting there going ahhhh what the? People actually believe that?

Haha, oh my! I'm astonished at what some people really believe about snakes, I think I'm going to take Justdragons advice and show them the photos of the broccoli eating snake!

Even my BOYFRIEND who watches my snakes eat still tells me "You can't say 100% that some snake didn't size someone up once". I tell him (and people who tell me that story constantly) that if a snake had to wait for prey to lie still to 'size it up' that they'd never eat! It baffles me!

Just got asked the stupidest question yet. I showed one of my friend my three year old, 1.4m woma, who is kept in a locked enclosure in my bedroom. She turned to me and said "aren't you afraid it will get out and eat you in your sleep?" :facepalm:

I get that a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back