Substrate from bunnings ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. I just seen them die from it (a friends) so I don't use it anymore.

When feeding live prey on sand it is important to give them decent sized prey items, if you feed them crickets etc that are too small then they will get sand with just about every strike, imo feeding larger prey items significantly reduces the risk of sand impaction.

Can you use the sand from bunnings for knob tail geckos and other geckos like that?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the sand from bunnings for knob tail geckos and other geckos like that?

make sure you buy the right sand i use washed beach/playpit sand which is a finer sand
they also sell other varieties of sand river/landscaping which i would not use.

please dont make this about impaction being a valid cause of death, options for substrate are what was requested.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the washed play sand is all I use for my geckos (apart from geckos that prefer organic substrates such as leaf-tails).

Some Bunnings have gardens and you can pick up sticks and leaves off the ground for nothing. If you dont want to go to Bunnings you can do the same in your own garden. You dont have to buy products from a shop to use as substrate, They are all around you but just not in plastic bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one is the one I need for them and other geckos here's link to bunnings

Moderator edit: No links to non sponsor sites that sell the same / similar products thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used wash play sand as substrate for beardies for almost 8years. I have never had a problem with it or with my lizards. They are all extremely healthy and I have never seen them eat any :p
I feed vegies on plates or on a large rock to avoid sand getting on them and my beardies always are running around eating crickets when it's food time :D

Personally I have never had a problem but problems can happen (But i think if anything it would be your own fault for forgetting something or feeding the wrong size prey...)

hey guys i know the post is a little old but id like to thank u all as this is the exact info iv been looking for i want sand for my womas and BHP but there in 1.2x1x1 tanks and sand at 30 for 20kgs is a rip it would cost me a bomb to do it but the sand from bunnings wont lol

i do have one question about someone saying to get sticks and stuff from outside i know u can do this how ever do u not have to wash the item before exposing it to ur reptile
thanx

Put them in a black garbage bag. Tie it up tight and put it in the sun for a few days. Less risk than an oven and works well for large branches too, (that won't fit in the oven) just use two bags, one each end, and some duct tape to seal the middle.

cypress mulch is great and looks really good from bunnings, they also have a new one its called impact mulch ( its a soft mix of wood chips used under swings etc for kids falls. its free of toxins but personally havent used it yet. I did you a "chemical free, toxin free, natural " mulch for one of my womas and it immediately got irritated and was rubbing it face on everything and then went into the water which is very unusal for woma's. anyway trial and error is good just read labels carefully as you dont want to put yoursnake into something covered in fertilizer like the mulch i used was. Sand has never been a problem for me unless you have hatchies running around trying to eat small crickets, they can be very bad aim and doesnt take much to block them up but never any deaths. I use natural paper bedding in my enclosures now its just recycled paper. its looks great still in my desert themed cages, its odor free and easy to clean and cheap i use 7 liters roughly for a 1200x600x600 enclosure and a 15l bag is around $10 check it out in my album file to see the kind of look it achieves!

I'm getting a bearded soon and this thread answered all my questions. I was going to go sand but I was curious, what about that kitty crumble stuff or what ever its called. That grey pebble looking stuff. Does anyone know if it's bad for lizards?

I'm getting a bearded soon and this thread answered all my questions. I was going to go sand but I was curious, what about that kitty crumble stuff or what ever its called. That grey pebble looking stuff. Does anyone know if it's bad for lizards?

It is called breeders choice when it's in the kitty litter section and Back-2-Nature when sold as animal bedding. Same stuff same manufacturer same color packaging just different printing. Used it for years for my dragons, quite popular choice for many, I aways put newspaper underneath just as a bit of extra protection for my enclosure floors.

It is called breeders choice when it's in the kitty litter section and Back-2-Nature when sold as animal bedding. Same stuff same manufacturer same color packaging just different printing. Used it for years for my dragons, quite popular choice for many, I aways put newspaper underneath just as a bit of extra protection for my enclosure floors.

Oh ok awesome. Is it cheaper than other substrates?

Some Bunnings have gardens and you can pick up sticks and leaves off the ground for nothing. If you dont want to go to Bunnings you can do the same in your own garden. You dont have to buy products from a shop to use as substrate, They are all around you but just not in plastic bags.

In a nutshell.

Up until recently I've had the luxury of a 12" chipper making my substrate.

Last edited:
I use Eucalyptus mulch for my Bluey, $5 a bag from my local sand and soil joint, for your desert theme you can try the straight lizard substarte the exo terra sell but try and get it off ebay they are much cheaper for many things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back