Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
would you like to tell us the name of the breeder so we dont go their?

A bit early for that call. Sounds like more investigation is needed before someone’s reputation is tainted.

You said you used F10, did you take the snakes out first?
Also, did you continue treating for mites, or just do it the once?

yeah completed my mite treatment an as for f 10 i did have the reptiles in the enclosure an its safe to use f10 on them an i was told this from my supplier who i trust completely

No, you shouldn't spray snakes with F10 or any other disinfectant. Would you have trusted him completely if he said it was okay to spray bleach on your snakes?

sorry to hear about your snake it sounds like it was sick when you got it
i think a refund or replacement should be given

If it were an incorrect housing/mite treatment problem then theres a good chance that both snakes would be dead not just the female. There were issues with her from the moment you got her home by the sound of things...
I would be very disappointed and annoyed with the seller and definitely asking for a refund. Sorry for your loss

yeah the male is fine.

couldnt have any better of a snake

but the female has been like this since the start.

yeah completed my mite treatment an as for f 10 i did have the reptiles in the enclosure an its safe to use f10 on them an i was told this from my supplier who i trust completely

It is safe to use TOD in an occupied enclosure, but not safe to use F10!
There is a huge difference between the two, TOD is an insecticide used
for mite treatments and F10 is a high strength disinfectant for cleaning enclosures!

I think you may have the answer there ;)
Also mite treatment is ongoing for at least 6 weeks, so it couldnt have been completed yet.

ive never sprayed f10 on my snakes.

but on my bottle it says safe to use in the presence of people an animals....

my supplier sold it to me as a substrate disinfectant an as a hand wash for prior handling of a reptile an after handling a reptile.

good news
just spoke to the breeder an he said hes going to try an replace her with a bredli of the same age an same sex or work something else out....

thats great. hope everything works out in the end for you :)

So sorry for your loss, some animals are simply more susceptable to problems. The reality of reptile keeping is that animals WILL die on you from time to time, sometimes it's simply natural attrition ( in the wild one snake per cluth will be lucky to make it to adulthood) and sometimes it's disease which can be hard to diagnose till it's too late. However, most deaths in captivity is due to improper husbandry. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it is something to be very aware of.
Simple mistakes can kill snakes very quickly, and not with a patern, as your male is fine. I would definately question you own hygine protocols and husbandry techniques for the future, but in this case i feel the husbandry shortfall occoured before you bought the snake, and the stress of moving triggered a turn for the worse

I am very sorry, i know how hard it is to loose an animal. My only advice to you would be to study husbandry of snakes till it comes out your ears, and be very selective about who you buy from.
Never spray an animal with F10 even when diluted, it's for cleaning surfaces only, not animals.

al i can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i use this at work to clean the dogs pens, we make 100% sure there isn't even a little moisture left from it before the dogs go back in, if they lick it it can servely alserate (sp?) their tongue. so i can't even imagine what it would do to snakes in their at the time of spraying.

I am sincerely sorry for your loss, although I think the person you bought her from is going well above and beyond their duty of customer care in this scenario. 4 weeks is a hell of alot of time for something to go wrong in your care, especially if what Im understanding of your husbandry techniques is correct, and for the fact that you immediately felt you deserved reimburssement without conclusive evidence to cause of death, a death which could have possibly been entirely your fault.

I am suprised how fired up I am about this, as I know neither party, but the bandwagon lynch mob mentality has really got under my skin. Keping pythons in communal enclosures can and does work, but the situation needs to be monitored, and ammended as soon as an animal shows signs of stress ( which could be retreating to the cool end of the enclosure in an effort to avoid the other animal, prolonged episodes of such behavior are easily noticed, and were in this instance). Another point is that during winter, the gradient in a 5ft enclosure could be quite extreme, even more so is the basking site was a measley 25deg. So at this point there is a stressed animal hiding at the cool end, a cool end that would be below 25 degs. I could keep shooting holes in this story, but without a vet showing conclusive results, everyone should really back up off the previous owner. Either stress or cold alone, could be enough for bacteria or virus' that lay dormant in a healthy animal to get enough of a hold while the immune response is supressed, which in my eyes would be the fault of the new owner.... of course this is all just speculation, seeing as there were no vet tests done.

All that said, I am honestly sorry for your loss.

To all those calling for the sellers blood..... If you ever see me advertise animals, dont bother enquiring about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
the other thread is a bit out dated the snakes were only exposed to the 25'c for about 2 days
i swaped out the heat source for a stronger one which now heats the tank to a 35"c in the hot spot area at the bottom of the tank it sites at a 27'C an inside the hide box its at a 25'C.

an i spoke to my reptile guy first who said instantly
"id ring up your breeder mate you've only had the reptile a few weeks"

he had also inspected the female the day i got her an said she appears to be a bit ill but keep a eye on her...

reading up on my medical books ive noted that a "sudden death instance" is a rare opp for a captive snake.

it appears that most sudden deaths are caused by internal parasites.

the male from this morning has been isolated in a separate enclosure for quarantine.

a stool sample was collected from the female this morning an also will be coming to the vet tomorrow for a look.

Last edited:
he asked for peoples opinion and he got the opinions, calling people deadbeats is a little over the top. which makes me wonder about "your" husbandry skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back