Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahfii

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am starting out as a pet reptile keeper.

After doing a bit of basic research a picked up an fish tank and stand that I can easily be modified into a herpetarium.

The dimensions are L 61cm W 31cm H 31cm.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a species (any reptile just not frogs) that can live in a smaller enclosure so I can get started with more research and eventually select one.

Help would be much appreciated! :)

Plenty around there to awaken the sleeping herp keeper in you. What would you prefer as there are a few snake species out there who (with a good lid) enjoy something that size for a few years. Geckos are also on the cards as I'm sure are a couple of the smaller skinks.

It all depends on you mate and what you like. But once you pick a species, as away as there are some great (if you can look past the pettiness and arguments sometimes) keepers and advice out there for you.

Now, with legs or without...

Agreed with Sniper, it depends on what you really like :)
With that sized enclosure, it would be good for Gecko's, some of the smaller snakes like: Spotted Python, Stimson Python or just a Children's Python. If you are into the bigger snakes then you could house them in the enclosure for a little while (as a Hatchling) until you can get a bigger enclosure.
In terms of lizards, there is not really any that could be in that size enclosure, however some pygmy monitor's like the Pygmy Mulga Monitor should be fine in there. Or 1 Pygmy Bearded Dragon.

These are just a couple to research.
Good luck :)

Personally I would not recommend using an aquarium as a beginner in keeping reptiles, unless of course you intend to keep turtles. The all glass nature of aquaria presents issues with heat loss and ventilation. If you are experienced and know how to get around these with trial and error, they can be used quite satisfactorily. However, for someone starting out who has it all to learn in front of them, it is an unwanted complication they really do not need or want to have to confront. Spend the extra money on a reptile specific enclosure and you won’t regret it.

No-one can make the decision of what to start with, other than you. All that others can do is make you aware of which species are good ones to begin with, as their needs are straight forward and easily met. There are suitable species for beginners in all reptile groups. You need to choose which group you find most fascinating and then ask for help in that specific group.

Buying any enclosure first and then deciding what animal(s) you want to start with is a good recipe for disaster. Absolutely NOT the way to go. Choose your REPTILE FIRST and start building from there if you wish to be a responsible and successful keeper. [And if you want to do on the cheap, I would recommend fish keeping.]

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested in snakes. Get a hatchy and set up a click clack. There are some good threads in the DIY thread. Then you can worry about enclosures in a few months. I agree with Blue ditch the tank or use it for fish. Good luck with what ever you decide on. It really is a personal choice. Do some more research. You are bound to find something that excites you.

Thanks

Now, with legs or without...
Thanks so much for advice :)

- - - Updated - - -

The all glass nature of aquaria presents issues with heat loss and ventilation.

I was planing to modify it by adding wood panels on the back and the sides to get around this.

Thanks for the advice :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pointers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back