Super worms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamsMice

Reaction score
Hey I'm always Seeing super meal worm on here and in The shop. But are the actual super worms hard to get the ones that aren't overgrown with stuff the proper 'super worms'.
Haven't seen any sold are these easy to get?

Live foods unlimited sells the "proper" giant meal worms I think you mean. I am currently breeding some now. The ones in the shop labelled superworms are just given hormones or something to prevent them turning to pupae to form beetles, thus just growing bigger. Giant Mealies are supposed to be better for reptiles to digest compared to normal meal worms. Hope this is what you were after.

Yer did help ,out here we get the giant mealworms which labelled super worms but for a start superworms can't be put in the fridge I believe or they will die.
But yes i also do breed the prober superworm just wondering if many other people breed them as well.

I have been breeding the giant mealworms for quite some time. It is very easy. am now feeding about 70-80% giant worms to 20-30% roaches. I highly recommend giving it a go. Far easier than crickets.

Yep I breed them too but none of my herps seem to particularly like them at this point.

as far as i know giant mealworms are a complete different species than their smaller cousin, they are easier to digest due to their softer shell, and dont need refrigeration to stop them from pupating. correct me if wrong tho i cant remember where i came across that

With the super worms the beetle are massive I would say I have had them as bettles for 1+ months can see no babies but with my mealworm conoly been in there the same time as super well there's thousand of mealworms can't see any super worms babies though

They take a while to grow and are very tiny for the first few months. The adults will also eat the eggs and young if they're not fed properly.

also seperate your supers from colony to make them pupate individual containers wit air holes no food/water and your beetle tub only pu bout an inch and a half oats in the bottom and change this every 2 weeks and put changed oates into different container and every 2 weeks keep putting changed oats into same container(seperate from beetles) with some carrot in there and check the carrot every couple of days and you will start to see tiny bab y little gold coloured supers but thats what i found works best

i bought 100 worms 5 years ago,..and have never had to buy more, theyre very easy to breed!!

takes a while for the baby worms to be visible,...every 2 weeks i dump more bran in with the beetles so they cant eat their eggs, after doing that 3 times i move the beetles to a fresh container and then start to see baby worms emerge everywhere,..

i only use superworms that are freshly shed, they have quite a bite on them and i find the amyae tend to swallow them pretty much whole,.....they are an absolute favourite with them and the beardies!!

i use greens and cat bikkies for food.

they also need heat to breed properly,..i keep mine at 30C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back