Supposed To Be A Female

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My female (het) olive python was having trouble shedding so I moved her into a newly cleaned tub.

Shortly afterwards I found these. Any chance they're not what I think they are ...?

Plugs1.jpg

Plugs2.jpg

Plugs3.jpg

Any possibility at all that they're not?

unfortunately not, females don’t develop these... did you buy it as a hatchling? Sometimes if the breeder can’t pop hemipenes whilst sexing, they assume it’s a female and move on, but what can happen is the males can hold their hemipenes in, so it’s always good to pop the “females” multiple times to make sure

It's very hard to 100% sex pythons. I use the pop and probe method. I pop them and then double check all the females with a probe.
But even then there are snakes that don't follow the rules when it comes to probing depths.
If it's really important I would contact the breeder and see what he can do to help you out.

unfortunately not, females don’t develop these... did you buy it as a hatchling?

I meant, any chance that they could be something other than sperm plugs? Just wanted to be 100% sure before going down the next path.

No, not bought as a hatchling - closer to 6' long - but I'm guessing not sexed since it was one. Not sure if it's really worth following up, given the cost of interstate freight.

Back