Surprice is full of parasites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

Poor Surprice did not pass the tests. Vet find him in bad shape because his belly have a lot of parasites. He is on medication and back to vet in 1 month. All other of mine snakes are ok. I think that his problem was created by live food. Bob Whitey told us that the snake eat only live rats.
I have him now eating defrosted food.

That's terrible Slatey....
I hope he's well soon!

beautiful Nicole. It is not serious for snake, he just have problem to digest the food properly. Should be in fair condition in 4 weeks.
Mabe he will be less snappy. :p

Bad news Slatey old boy, but good to hear that it is not serious. There's a good chance that he was being made a bit aggressive by these parasites so I wish you well with it and hope you end up with a nice placid snakey :) Keep us informed big fella :)

Not good Slateman,
At least now things will be fixed.
That should be a lesson to everyone to take their snake/snakes to a vet for testing.
As I understand it most breeders start their hatchlings on live food.I was under the impression that he bred and wormed his mice and rats but from what you have said obviously not.
At what age should you take the snake to a vet for testing or can you just take a sample along?

cheers

Hi Slatey

that's a bit disappointing. What kind of parasites are they and what does the treatment involve. 8)

:-(

Sorry to hear the news, Mr Slateman. Glad it wasn't serious.

Might be worth mentioning it to Bob too so he can get his other snakes checked out. Boy! I'd hate to pay HIS vet bill :shock: ....

Ah yes but lusty, In his case it would be just a business overhead. Come to think of it I wouldn't mind having a business overhead like that :)

surprise is full.

hi slaty thats a bummer but he will bounce back no worries from worms.

This may open up a whole other can of worms but lets keep it nice :)

Parisites and live food is not really a hand in hand relationship.
but origin of animals and parisites can be. I am in NO way sugesting that surprise is a wild caught or that he has been housed with a wild caught animal.
but the fact that there has been large numbers of wild caught animals beening sold in to the pet trade from out of the northern territory of many species including olive pythons. Alot of these animals have come with parisite problems as well other things like injurys.

Before i climb of my soap box i would just like to say one other thing.
These animals are being sold for financial gian only. There is no respect payed to the animals them selves or to the people receiving them. The only reason that this trade remains is that peolpe let it happen by buying these suposadly cheeper animals when in the backs of there mind most people know the origin of/and the treatment these animals have received

just my thoughts..
cheers paul.

Thank you for your replies people.
Now when i read the pythons post, i am thinking about his aggressive behaviors. mabe he have some wild past. Nothing i can do about this now. I will give him lot of attention and care , and i hope that this will change his heard. I will put my body on the line :lol: and i hope that this will make him happier snaky.
Fangs i am taking my snakes to vet every 6 month for general checkup. But i have only 3 snakes and cost is usually under $50. Teri check the mouth, body, firmness,check his poo, and inject them with deworming solution. For parasites test you have to take snake to vet, sample only is not good as the poo must be extra fresh for vet to see it in the stool.
Graham i don't know what types of parasites he has, but vet said that he have many different types and is heavily infested.
Lutzs i tried to ring Bob twice, but when i introduce my self and tel his wife who i am, He is busy to take my call. I left my number for him to call me back 10 days ago, because i would like to ask som questions about Surprice (exact age and hints reg feed and handling) and i would like to purchase about 3 years old female diamond. He did not ring me back, and i do not consider him up for future bossiness because of that.
Surprice is happy in his quarantine cage, and he don't wont to hear about his previous owner either.

Slateman said:
1. For parasites test you have to take snake to vet, sample only is not good as the poo must be extra fresh for vet to see it in the stool.

2. Lutzs i tried to ring Bob twice, but when i introduce my self and tel his wife who i am, He is busy to take my call. I left my number for him to call me back 10 days ago, because i would like to ask som questions about Surprice (exact age and hints reg feed and handling) and i would like to purchase about 3 years old female diamond. He did not ring me back, and i do not consider him up for future bossiness because of that.
Surprice is happy in his quarantine cage, and he don't wont to hear about his previous owner either.

1. That's interesting! Does the vet have a way to make the snake poo on command or do you just have to sit and wait! :shock: :? How does the vet extract the stool sample?

2. Yeah, I'm afraid I'm not overly surprised (no pun intended). That's been my experience as well. Of course, it's always possible that his wife was mad at him and didn't pass on the message, as I've had a few non-returned calls from him as well.

Bob has a very good reputation in the snake world, but that may be due to his snake skills and knowledge, rather than his people skills. I can sort of understand how hundreds of phone calls asking the same questions over and over again could become a bit irksome, but if you're selling snakes (or anything for that matter!) for money, then there are certain [moral] obligations to support your customers to a reasonable level. It seems to me that the questions you wanted to ask were not unreasonable.

Regarding the snappiness of Surprise, when I examined him at Bob's place, his explanation of his agressiveness was that there was a bucket of live mice in the room, and Surprise could smell that, as I told Adam at the time. It seemed like a reasonable explanation at the time, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Olives are supposed to be a fairly placid snake by nature from what I've read.

I think I've mentioned before that the contrast between his and Peter Harlowe's pre and post-sales support was like chalk and cheese. Peter was extremely helpful and friendly, both before and after I bought my diamond off him. Paul (Pythonss) was equally helpful to Nicole and I when we were buying our olives.

I guess it boils down to the fact that if you know exactly what you want and don't want any extra information, then Bob is probably a good source, but if you need more, then it might be best to go elsewhere. Or you could ensure that you know everything you want to ask BEFORE you hand over the cash, and make sure that all your questions are answered fully beforehand.

Word of mouth is probably the best recommendation. Perhaps if anyone out there is contemplating buying a snake from someone they don't know, ask the members of this list for references. I'm sure we'll all be only too happy to help. :eek:

LOL David
This post of yours looks like article.
David when i ring first time, i her his wife talking to him and he refused to take call. But not to worry. Surprice is great and i have challenge which i enjoy.
you can try this your self David: Hold your snake and push his belly about 20 cm above vent with motion forward to vent. In few second you have the sample. Don't do that if snake is shading.
David how is your olive feeding now?

:)

Yeah, sorry! I tend to ramble when it's something I feel strongly about! :?

Re the feeding - it's still not happening! He's a SMART olive - can't fool him with the wing stitched onto the pinkie!

I guess it'll be the finch trick next ...... stay tuned for the next exciting episode (yawn!)

Good luck David. Finch trick worked wit all my 3 olives from bob. and i used live finch only 2 times to get them started

Thanx for the info Slateman.
Looks like I will take mine for a checkup as soon as I can find a good herp vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back