Swaps/trades

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the hobby is so big now (and full of people who don't know how to look after their animals) that swapping, trading and buying increases the risk of bringing home diseases and mites. That is a serious downside of the hobby. The circles George was talking about is about the only solution to keep your collection safe. JMO

Yeah I hear ya
So many issues these days let alone the scary viruses out there that a lot of people don't seem to care about
I've got 2 good mates and between us we have some pretty sweet animals to work with in the next few years
Both of them are newer to the hobby and haven't bred before so I'm going to help them out with tips for incubation, eggs, getting hatchies feeding etc :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to swap more than i sell these days. Sick of low ballers and i have enough ipads. To be honest the last couple of animals I've given out on loans to people i know rather than sell.
Frillys and monitors mainly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't swap or trade any reptile... unlike mammals, reptiles can hide health issues and traits for a very long time. It rarely or if ever happens in the turtle scene, with turtles, the serious keepers, they really want to know exactly what they have and that can be almost impossible in the Emydura complex unless you know the entire history of where your turtles came from. With so many irresponsible and or uneducated back yard breeders crossing lines. Murrays, Krefft's, Brisbane river, Clarence, Hunter, Macleay River turtles can all crossbreed if kept together and produce mongrel clutches with no genetic integrity whatsoever. Many turtles also have a generation length of 10,15-20 years meaning they will not breed for that long, so it's a long time to wait to find out what you thought you had is now a big goose egg.. An adult female turtle can produce viable eggs for 4 consecutive seasons from a single mating and a single clutch can have up to 5 separate fathers. Once a turtle's genetics are compromised, it's irreversible. Macleays for example are the smallest Australian species in captivity with males averaging 12-14cm Straight Carapace length and females around 16cm, I once saw a person trying to sell yearling "Macleays" that were 23cm! What a joke. They'd obviously been crossed with Murrays and were HUGE!
No trades or swaps for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back