Swinging Glass Door

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
Guys,

I have seen it before but cant find it now.
Has anyone got a tank or pictures of a tank that uses a full glass door that swings open. The door has to be frameless.
I need to work out how to do it for the new vertical tanks I have half built and decided to sway away from sliding glass.

Thanks in advance.

No Its.... those enclosures by those dudes....that I can not for the life of me remember

Look up Snakefx. I think they use perspex but it's the same principle.

There was also recently a thread on here where someone had a top mount hinge for frameless swinging glass doors. They were called scissor hinges or something I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
there is a standard hinge available from Hafele or Lincoln Sentry ( cabinet hardware supplies ) that fits to the edge of the glass and allows door to pivot, not sure how big the gap around the door would be though, may be too big and let critters escape, another style of hinge needs to have holes drilled into the glass door and then use a strip around the inside of the door to keep critters in but the hinge needs to be fixed to a timber gable, if your gables ( side of enclosure ) are glass you might have glue a timber block where your hinges are??? when all of the cabinet making businesses get back to work in a week or two go and see if they will give you a catalogue to look through

The sides of the cage are melamine.

Yeah im planning on seeing one on monday when they reopen.

Not 100% certain but you may have been talking about one of my recent posts in the DIY section? If not no worries, although I think the fixtures you are after are called "Glass Door Hinges", I haven't seen any in my local Bunnings although they can be purchased online, just search for those words. The ones that look the closest to the ones in the picture below are called "Polished Chrome 110° Glass Door Hinges for flush-fitting doors, TV Cabinet" and are sold from the UK. I'm sure there are local sellers, just might take a bit of looking to find them. I considered it myself for an enclosure build and I still am, I just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

This is what we have on our Reptile One cabinets:

993539_556103611148422_1850790927_n.jpg

There is no drilling into the glass involved, the screws sit up against the glass with a thin sheet of plastic protecting it from scratching, whilst holding it in place.

Hopefully that's what you were looking for, if not all the best in finding them. :)

Last edited:
Vengeance! You legend. Thats exactly what im after.
Can you tell me is there any sort of strip around on the inside of the glass to prevent escapees.

Im having mine raised from the substrate so thats not an issue.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

There is a thin strip of MDF spanning the top and bottom of the enclosure where the door sits. The only sections where there isn't a lip is the sides of the enclosure and the sections where the hinges and lock sits. I'm not sure how suitable such doors would be for hatchlings, however we have housed our pythons (Jungles and Darwin) in them from 7-8 months onward, no escapes yet.

As I'm rubbish at describing, here is a picture:

1522781_565720766853373_370584168_o.jpg

Photobombed by the cat. :rolleyes:

Other pictures via these links:

Top view of lock
Top lip with right door
Lower left hinge

I need to clean the glass again. Glad I was able to help! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts