Switching mice to rats -.-

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
8 months old coastal hatchling, have had him on weiner mice than decided to switch to rats, this is the second week he hasn't taken it now getting maddddddd :evil::evil: sat there for 30-40 minutes each time trying to let him take it normally he just sniffs and sits ready to strike, i try annoying him with it but he just strikes it wont try and eat at all!! I dont want to buy a whole pack of mice just to spread there **** or w.e ontop of the rat so whats some other solutions, 2 weeks its been missed 2 feeds, tips solutions anything, kgo.

The easiest way is to feed a mouse then hand feed a rat behind it just as the last bit of mouse is disappearing.Since you don't want to buy any more mice then I suggest you leave the snake alone and let it get hungry,give it 3 or 4 weeks then try.

I just swapped one of my jungles over to rats (8mths old too), it was a real pain with the last jungle but this one almost seems to prefers the rats, striking them alot harder then he did with the weaner mice. The way i did it this time was to thaw the fuzzy rat directly in warm water to wash off most of the scent, then a slightly brained it and rubbed the head of the fuzzy with some of the 'head juice' worked first time, now after 3 feeds on rats I don't even have to do that. Not always this simply, as I said the last jungle took many attempts, tried every trick in the book, eventually went with the 3 weeks without offering food method and got results

I just defrosted a mouse and rat in the same water and then rubbed them together. Worked really well to switch mine over. Ramsayi's suggestion of letting it go hungry usually works pretty well too

I'm lucky. None of mine were a hassle to switch over, took to them first time. All are around 8 months old. Jungle is on Velvet Rats at the moment. MD is on Hopper Rats. And other MD was on Pinky Rats (tried Velvets but he never took them) until he decided to go off his food out of no where. Hopefully this changes in a couple of weeks.

I defrost all mine in warm water so when I switch over to rats I don't think mine even noticed...or she's too fat to care :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back