Swollen eye ridge

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Reaction score
Jut took one of my coastal carpets out to get some pics and I noticed the ridges above his eyes on both sides seem to be raised up. I'm not sure what would cause this and it wasn't like this when I took him out a couple of weeks agouploadfromtaptalk1402807607888.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402807628108.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402807650056.jpg

Off the top of my head, a couple of things could be causing this: mites or bacteria.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The cases of mites that I have seen have has white rings around the eye and not so much like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na there is no mites at all I checked him for that thinking that I could be but it's not the eye sockets it's the top part of his head to where the eye is.

That`s very interesting but not necessarily a cause for concern. Did the swelling occur suddenly and , if so , within what time frame ? . Is the swelling firm or soft ? Is the snake due to shed ? Get a magnifying glass and look real closely at the spectacle , especially around the margins. The fact that it is bilaterally symmetrical tends to rule out infection. May disappear just as fast. What was the snake on , substrate-wise , when you noticed the signs ?

I'm not sure when it started swelling as I don't hold this fella very often. It does feel soft but I can't get a good fel as he doesn't like to have his head touched. He's not dues for a shed for awhile. And I keep him on marine carpet that gets cleaned regularly

Here is afew new pics of him that its easyer to see the eye ridge. Havent been abke to go to a vet at the moment as im broke but I will as soon as I hav3 some money.
a3ypa5aq.jpg
yhemuqes.jpg
u2amunur.jpg
esa8a4y9.jpg

I'm not a reptile expert but I do wish to become a veterinarian specializing in herps so I do take great interest to all of the health threads on this forum so I hope no one minds me posting my 2 cents :) Since no one could give a straight out answer and you are unable to get to the vet, I thought I'd do a bit of my own research.

After searching for 'eye' problems in pythons/reptiles I came across one line that I do believe led to a possible out come: "A vitamin A deficiency can lead to swelling of the snake's eye ridges". After reading this I looked into Vitamin A deficiencies in reptiles and swelling around the eyes is the majority 'opening' symptom to this problem. Now I'm not saying it is as I am not a vet nor an expert (as stated), I'm just giving another suggestion and anyone can correct me if wrong :)

This is what I found out about it:

A vitamin A deficiency in reptiles can be a serious (and in some cases severe) illness for reptiles. Owners typically notice swollen eyelids or swelling around the eyes as the first symptom of the illness. The reptile may also include some of the following symptoms: swelling around the mouth, nasal discharge, stomatitis, weakness, loss of appetite/weight loss and a decreased growth rate. It is best to be treated early by a vet as severe cases can lead to ongoing health issues. Trying to treat the problem yourself with vitamin A supplements can be a bad thing as giving too much vitamin A is harmful (Although I'm sure you wouldn't treat without consulting a herp vet first, just adding it in :)).

But in saying all of this, if he is fed an appropriate diet with the sufficient amount of vitamin A in his diet this shouldn't be the issue.

Once again I was just putting a suggestion forward.

Good luck and let us know how he goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back