sydney funnel web spider

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never find them around my area, how big do they get?

Do they only live around the Sydney area? I hope they do, i would just die if I saw one in my backyard or worse in my house :shock:

Funnel webs are old friends of mine, i reckon there's close to more myths about these guys then snakes.
THEY DO NOT JUMP.
I have known a couple of people who have been bitten, and they are still alive.
They are sometimes found in swimming pools, because they fall in. They can live under water for a limited time, but they die because they can't get out.
One little trick that you must be careful of is that they can play dead. They even roll their legs up so its pretty convincing, I was going to pick on up and I thought nah, i better use this leaf, and when i put it on the table and backed off it came to alive as anything.
Keep them in a tank with some dirt and leaves, they eat house roaches and each other.

Do they only live around the Sydney area? I hope they do, i would just die if I saw one in my backyard or worse in my house :shock:

i was at the arp yesterday and even tho they are called the sydney funnelweb they still go right down to nowra and up a bit futher than sydney

thats it if they are as far down as Nowra im moving to tassie

i was at the arp yesterday and even tho they are called the sydney funnelweb they still go right down to nowra and up a bit futher than sydney

We found a Funnel web and nest at Nowra on Sunday when we were having a look around.
It was probably about 4-5 cms long. Around it was lots of empty centerpede and millipede husks.

actually sydney funnelwebs are only found in and around sydney, but there are many other, some right up to qld

I think it was in Rob Bredl's film that I heard the ones in the rainforest grew bigger and more aggressive and had more potent venom. Is this also a myth?

I think it was in Rob Bredl's film that I heard the ones in the rainforest grew bigger and more aggressive and had more potent venom. Is this also a myth?

those are the tree dwelling funnel web spiders and yes there venom is more potent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back