Sydney Gecko ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEWY

Reaction score
As I am not too great with my gecko IDs, I'm throwing the ball to you.

This little girl was given to me tonight by a mate who is a sparky. He was working on a water heater and found her in the electrical panel.
She has large cheek pouches (like I've seen in Maddy Day Geckos) and appears to be gravid with one egg. She also has a large scar in one cheek pouch that has healed.

It was caught on the Northern Beaches Sydney, and while I have never seen any of the local Oeduras, I don't think it is one.
I don't want to say it, but I'm leaning towards Volder- you know, the one who can not be named.

Let me know you thoughts, and hope the concenus isn't Asian House Gecko.

Cheers

JD

Underside, you may be able to see the egg from this angle.

UnIDGecko-1.jpg

UnIDGecko-2.jpg

Full Body with egg visible

UnIDGecko-5.jpg

Head

UnIDGecko-18.jpg

Yes Asian House.

Oh and I thank you for clear close pictures the aid they give to id is enormous.

No worries, my new camera and newer lens are my passion. This just gave me another excuse to bust it out.

Asian House Gek in Sydney, I'm guessing escaped pet or stow away.
My mate sent me a pic message asking for an ID, i called straight away asking if he still had it. Good thing I suppose.
Let's start a crazy debate, what to do with her now?
Anyone choosing Amyae?

I wouldn't feed it to your Amyae because of the risk of parasites , although fun to watch lol

My question would be are Asian house geckos common in Sydney and have they got there feet in the door for a population ?

Don't worry, its not going anywhere near my collection.
There have been a few found in Sydney, but most have been found in suitcases etc coming from Northern Australia. I don't know how long she'd last in the winter... today was bloody cold.
I'll look for some answers tomorrow, but for now, I'm going to ponder, was there a second egg and where's the male?

sorta reminds you of a hamster with those pouches

if i'm not mistaken those are for calcium storage?
very healthy specimen by the looks of it

perhaps the other one'sclumped together with the first? just a wild guess

hopefully with the male frozen to a popsicle from this kinda weather

Last edited:
Unfortunately many people when holidaying in Queensland think they are doing no harm when they bring back these "lovely" geckos they find running around everywhere up there, not saying that's how this one got down here. It would be great if something could be done to create more public awareness for the Gecko equivalent of the cane toad.

pretty sure they are calcium deposits

Yes, they are calcium sacs. Mostly to aid in egg production.

I have found an Asian house gecko in the Watagan National park not that far from Sydney (closer to Newcastle). I have read from a link posted in another gecko id thread (and I re-posted that link in another gecko id thread recently sure you can find it if you want .) that they do die during the colder months in climates of this part of the world so it is less likely this is the start of a population.

What to do with it. In my opinion take some nice set up pictures on a nice natural looking substance then freezer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back