symtops of snake bites (Whip snake) please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscot60

Reaction score
ok so my dad was cleaning up some old dead trees and he picked up a bunch of twigs and was bitten by something by the time he dropped the sticks and looked for it it was gone, but there are 2 distinct punctures roughly .5 - 1cm apart, and he said there is a fair amount of pain in the bite area, i know that they are harmless but we are just curious, and i know that the info ive given isnt alot but if anyone has any ideas please help, so if anyone has been bitten or knows please share

thanx heaps

Whip Snakes can be dangerous, medical attention should be seeked. Dont worry, they arent deadly, but they are venomous. Call an ambulence just in case.
If the snake is small, it probably wont cause too much harm. My mum got bit by a 1 foot Yellow Faced Whip Snake, luckily it was a dry bite. However, Whip Snakes are elapids and all elapids are venomous, so its better safe than sorry. Anyway, it could've been something else, how do you know it was a whip snake?

Wait till Moose gets hold of this, Ambulance, how do you have any idea what it is?

just asuming because of the amount of whip snakes around place they are everywhere i remove them all the time, unfortunately i wasnt here when it happened

Well you shouldn't have assume and should have treated it as potentially life threatening

If it was something more venomous than a Whip Snake, he could be in a lot of trouble right about now.....

i tryed to get him to go to the hospital, but who would listen to a teenager adults seem to think they know everythin about everything its frustrating me, he say he perfectly fine just his hand is hurting

Have you applied a pressure bandage? Snake bite syptoms can take a while to manifest you should seek further assistance regardless of what your father says

thanx for the help guys, hes goin to get it checked out
appreciate you time and help thank you

He would be ****ed by now if it was bad. Ignore it.

Localised pain, aching in the hand when put in a down position. Pronounced swelling area. Might get mild head ache. Drink lots of fluids and keep elevated. will take a few days to come down. The bite may remain slightly infected for some time and could become inflamed again at a later date.
Seek medical advice if child, elderly or have other health conditions.

hahaha thats exactly wat he said

Not true mate ... Tell him serious neurological symptoms can take as long as 18 hours to develop... (if it wasn't a whip!)

Edit - Thats why even for suspected dry bites, you are in ER for 24hours (don't tell him that part though)

Aren't you the least bit concerned, especially after a man was reported to have died yesterday, after delaying treatment (for whatever reason)?

Cant help someone who wont help themselves ,

dpeica is right though .... if he isn't having any trouble breathing or swelling isn't getting any worse then there is probably a slim chance or a major reaction seeing as the bite took place over an hour ago , but without an ID it is probably still wise to call an ambo regardless

But I will repeat cant help someone who wont help themselves

Localised pain, aching in the hand when put in a down position. Pronounced swelling area. Might get mild head ache. Drink lots of fluids and keep elevated. will take a few days to come down. The bite may remain slightly infected for some time and could become inflamed again at a later date.
Seek medical advice if child, elderly or have other health conditions.

thank you soo much really helped

You can always count on Peter.. He knows more than most of us put together..

But I don't think you should ID a snake based on symptoms of envenomation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back