Taipan Bites Handler at Portland Christmas Picnic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Medical Dictionary definition...
Procoagulant: Relating to or denoting substances that promote the conversion in the blood of the inactive protein prothrombin to the clotting enzyme thrombin.

The term “procoagulants” applied to snake venom toxins seems inappropriate when their effect is actually to remove the body’s ability to clot blood and their dangerous effect is internal (or external) haemorrhage (uncontrolled bleeding). So how does one reconcile the apparent contradiction?

Blood clotting involves a number of concurrent chemical factors and changes which combine to ultimately change prothrombin into thrombin, which then converts fibrinogen, a single protein molecule in the blood, into fibrin strands, made by joining together fibrinogen molecules. These strands form a physical mesh to which platelets (bits of cells designed to assist with clotting) attach, forming a clot that itself adheres to a rupture in the wall of a blood vessel (limited by size of course).

Procoagulant snake venom directly converts prothrombin into thrombin. This may or may not result in a myriad of tiny blood clots throughout the entire body. As a result of the conversion of all the fibrinogen to fibrin, this triggers release of enzymes to break down the fibrin. So the blood ends up stripped of fibrinogen and its ability to clot. In the absence of any further procoagulant toxin, it takes the liver some 12 hours or more to produce and replace the amount of fibrinogen required by the body.

Hope that clears up that point.

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of other technical points that obviously need clarifying...

Hemotoxin is a general term for any toxins which affect the blood or blood vessels.

Procoagulant is a more specific term for a hemotoxin that affects the bloods clotting ability by causing formation and destruction of fibrin by converting prothrombin to thrombin.

Nerve cells connect with other nerve cells or with muscle cells. Theses connections are not direct but consist of a minute physical gap between the two called a synapse
. Nerve impulses are transmitted across this gap by the movement of chemicals called neurotransmitters. There are many different neurotransmitters in the body and they have different effects, depending. However, the neurotransmitter that connects all nerves to voluntary/skeletal muscles is acetylcholine. It is this neurotransmitter that is affected by elapid venom neurotoxins. The resultant danger from this toxin alone is respiratory failure due to paralysis of the thoracic muscles (diaphragm and inter-costals).

Acetylcholine also has a minor but non-critical role in the central nervous system.

Blue
I take it that this particular venom does not effect the synapse connections within the brain itself. Also is there any recorded permanent effects or longterm effects on the synapse connections?

Much of what I have written derives from my existing knowledge of human physiology. I have had to educate myself on the specifics of the pathology of snake toxins and the terminology. Google is indeed a powerful learning tool and a lot less arduous that going to the library like I used to do on a regular basis.

George, you will find there quite a few more recent studies but I really do appreciate the reference. Thank you!

The effects of neurotoxins on synaptic transmission are classified into two groups – pre-synaptic and post-synaptic. The effects of pre-synaptic toxins are not reversed by anti-venom where as the effects of post-synaptic are neutralised readily by anti-venom. The following reference explains why...
WCH Clinical Toxinology Resources

Andy,
It is not a case of “this particular venom”. The central nervous system is not a target for snake venom toxin. Some non-Australian species, e.g. mamba, can affect cardiac muscle contraction. Recovery from the effects of pre-synaptic toxins takes a measure of time while anti-venom immediately neutralises the effects of post-synaptic neurotoxins.

Blue

Sorry [MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION] I should have phrased it as this type of venom (neurotoxins). How is it deemed that the central nervous system is not the "target" of snake venom toxin? I would think that this would be rather handy in killing prey items to be eaten. I apologise if this is answered in the link that you have posted as I have not had a chance to read that yet but intend on doing so.

Cheers
Andy

Andy,
The explanation is quite simple when you think about it. What are the desired results of injecting venom into a prey organism? First up is that you do not want the prey item to be able to run away any great distance and second you want it to die or be immobiliused so that can be readily eaten. Both of these are achieved through interfering with the nerve-muscle junctions.

Interfering with nerve-nerve junctions in the brain will produce abnormal behaviour which, due to its unpredictable nature, may well be counter productive to acquiring envenomed prey.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back