Tank advice!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zionkeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This is the tank set up given to me when bringing my childrens python home. Its what the previous owners have done and works well.
Its got a thermostat and the lights (party lights from bunnings) on a timer.
Ive just received my first electricity bill since having him and boy thats a shock!!! Looking for advice on a possibly cheaper set up? Thanks!

yrazy9aq.jpg

I wouldn't think a 40w party light would at that much to your bill, especially on a timer. Others might have some ideas but 40w is about the minimum you would use, maybe look at heat cord?

Can you give some $ figures comparing your old elec bills to running the new tank set-up?

Personally, I live on my own & run 3 enclosures on timers.
I pay my elec bill on a monthly basis & the average bill is always around $50/mth.

I wouldnt think a 40 watt would add much ?? But i guess it could. I use heat emitters because they last longer 4 me. I will swap my power bill 4 urs any day though lol

i wouldnt have thought so either, being 40w, but my bills have jumped from an average of $70 p/m to $120p/m and the only thing thats changed is the tank. just looking around, if theres nothing cheaper and suitable thats fine :) always worth an ask though

A couple of things to think about (not that it will likely impact on your bills too much). Your heat source (the light bulb) is above the vent and your thermostat below the vent so most of the hot air that would be sensed by your thermostat would escape out of the vent resulting in the heat source running hotter and being on for longer. As norm said consider using a heat cord under a tile to heat an area under one of your hides.

Also get some cages around your light/heat sources to stop your snake burning itself.

You pay for your power by the Kw/h which is the kilowatts being used per hour. 40w is 0.04 Kw so therefore if you run your light at full power for 12 hours of the day then you will use 0.48Kw/h per day and 14.4 Kw/h per month. A Kw/h is roughly 24 cents so therefore it should equate to $3.16 a month and double that if you run the light 24 hours a day.

Our power bill has gone up since we started keeping reptiles, but it has only really spiked since we got our monitors. Wouldn't think 1 tank would increase your bill by that much.

Definitely not the tank doing that to your bill unless the light is splitting atoms in there. If you want you can ditch the heat globe and get a cord for belly heat. Antaresia can be maintained on only floor heating IMO as long as your room temps don't form icicles on the roof.

I run a heat cord with thermostat 24-7 for a juvie with little or no difference to my bill, perhaps it could save you money compared to a incandescent globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back