Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elise Salvio

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello
Just wanting to find out the what people think is the best thing to put on the bottom of a snake tank, ATM I use kritter crumble but I've heard people say it's not good for snakes.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use kritter crumble for my three pythons - fine for the inland and spotted and coarse for the woma who loves burrowing in it. Never had any problems in 4 years.

There are several good substrates to use for snakes. Kritter krumble is fine. We use the recycled paper cat litter for our pythons.

As said there are several 'best' substrates for snake enclosures. It all depends on what you define best as. The best for hygiene and cleanliness is newspaper, paper towel, butchers paper, etc. None of these though look particularly appealing and can be annoying to clean. If best to you is something more natural looking, coco peat, leaf litter (what I mainly use), different mulches, aspen and mixes are the better options. Some people find using kritters krumble (the paper pellets) is best as they like the ease of cleaning with it. Others swear by fake grass. For the most part its all pretty subjective. Every substrate has positives and negatives, best advice is do some research into all the different substrates and use what you think is best.

Personally I rather using more natural looking substrates. Currently I mainly use coco peat with a layer of leaf litter across the top. To me it looks the best, along with providing excellent stimulation for the snakes. In the future I will probably look into using different mixes and experimenting with what I find best and what best suits the animals I'm using it for.

Cheers, Cameron.

Some people find using kritters krumble (the paper pellets) is best as they like the ease of cleaning with it.

Are you saying Kritters Krumble is paper pellets? I believe its shredded wood.

I use a couple layers of newspaper on the bottom of the tank, and then put a thickish layer of Critters Crumble on top, that way when it comes to cleaning I can wrap a majority of it into the newspaper and lift it out. Critters crumble is the best IMO, its cheap and you get a lot in a bag, it's pretty absorbent and can hold humidity well, although with tropical species i'll sometimes mix in sphagnum moss.

Alright awesome thanks everyone [emoji16][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my son used Kritters Krumble for a while but found some of the animals got a mouthful when striking,very difficult to remove from a hungry pythons mouth,even some of the blueys had trouble with it.He is talking about moving to fake grass but I hate the stuff,( I mostly have various dragons and prefer sand) my pythons have chipsi or aspen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back