Taping Staffy ears for show

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tO SAY THAT DOG SHOWS ARE AKIN TO PAGENTS WHERE LITTLE GIRLS ARE DRESSED AND MADE UP LIKE WOMEN, IS RIDICULOUS!

nOT ALL BREEDS REQUIRE TAPING, AND WITHOUT THESE SHOWS WHICH CERTIFY AN ANIMALS GOOD CONFORMATION, TEMPERAMENT AND LACK OF DEFORMATIES OR FAULTS LIKE HIP DISPLASIA, HOW ARE WE TO KNOW THAT THE PUPS WE BUY HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF BEING SOUND ANIMALS, DISPLAYING THE BEST TRAITS AND CONFORMATION OF THE BREED? iT IS IN THE INTREST OF IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF AN ANIMAL, AND MINIMISING HEALTH ISSUES.

Ps. Sorry bout the caps lock, didnt realise I hit it and cant be bothered typing it again

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be offensive Dipcdame... but domestic dog breeds wouldn't actually exist
without man-made manipulation... so by your own standards you don't support their
existence in general.

I just think it is weird that by showing their dogs, breeders are demonstrating how well they can selectively breed traits into their animals to create the 'ideal' standard. If you then have to manipulate certain parts of the animal to achieve your desired response, isn't it an admission that you are unable to 'breed' the ideal standard?

vrhq08, you state you believe car showing is different then dog showing and you argue that the satisfaction your recieve for winning a car show is earned/real satisfaction?

May i ask exactly what constitutes a different between the two? In both one has to start with something and whether it be over 6 months (In the case of doing up cars) or 6 years (In the case of breeding your dogs for a few generations) the end product is the same - something that you have worked for and achieved. Sure sure the dogs are living animals, but from my experiance in the area, showing dogs are looked after far better then most dogs kept purely as pets. They are fed better, recieve regular vet checks, exercised better and recieve greater social interaction.

Personally i agree in part with both sides of this. I don't think it should be necessary to tape a dogs ears to win a show imo natural should be fine, but i also don't think it's going to affect the dogs in any adverse way, i could be wrong but until they can tell us otherwise we'll never really know...

Ben

As i stated car shows arent exploiting anything. I think its stupid to manipulate a living creature to enhance its looks. their would be a much greater achivement in buying a rolling shell and sanding it cutting out the rust, building up the engine.

well all i can say is lucky not everyone is like you cos there'd be no dog shows, horse shows, chicken, cow, or rat shows. every registered animal breeder shows off their good breeding stock and conformation of their animals.

and its only those over the top animal rights people who have a hissy fit about it. as i said before you've never been to a show or showed a dog probably any animal so you DONT KNOW what your talking about or how satisfying it can be.

and the dogs love it they are with other dogs they play with and are with their owners all day.. you can dispute it all you want but the fact is YOU NEVER DONE IT SO YOU DONT KNOW

Agreed!!!!!!!

well all i can say is lucky not everyone is like you cos there'd be no dog shows, horse shows, chicken, cow, or rat shows. every registered animal breeder shows off their good breeding stock and conformation of their animals.

and its only those over the top animal rights people who have a hissy fit about it. as i said before you've never been to a show or showed a dog probably any animal so you DONT KNOW what your talking about or how satisfying it can be.

and the dogs love it they are with other dogs they play with and are with their owners all day.. you can dispute it all you want but the fact is YOU NEVER DONE IT SO YOU DONT KNOW

Good read!
i think dog shows are great fun for dogs,just dont agree on taping ears i like natural,but everyone has their own views.

..I have a purebreed alaskan malamute pup, n was advised by the breeder at IF her ears dont stick up, we should go over and they would show us how to tape her ears..
IMO if taping encourage the ears to stick up, why not?
( i dont want my mal to have labrador ears.....)

..I have a purebreed alaskan malamute pup, n was advised by the breeder at IF her ears dont stick up, we should go over and they would show us how to tape her ears..
IMO if taping encourage the ears to stick up, why not?
( i dont want my mal to have labrador ears.....)

damn straight... and twilight is gorgeous,, i'd be cuddling that lil softy alllll the time..:)

I just think it is weird that by showing their dogs, breeders are demonstrating how well they can selectively breed traits into their animals to create the 'ideal' standard. If you then have to manipulate certain parts of the animal to achieve your desired response, isn't it an admission that you are unable to 'breed' the ideal standard?

agree, the ear set for the amstaff is- set high, ears should be short and held rose or half pricked. full drop to be penalised.

es.jpg

if the ears are fully dropped and you have to tape the ears, I don't think it would qaulify as a show dog. I would either have it as a pet or working dog and definitely not breed it. If it was papered I would limit register it. otherwise it would be breaching the code of ethics,"breed primarily for the purpose of improving the quality and / or working ability of the breed in accordance with the breed standard, and not specifically for the pet or commercial market."

dog shows are only good for comformation appearance wise. does not test there working ability's or there true temprement to handle tough and stressful situations. thats when dog sports like schutzhund, mondio ring, KNPV and breed suitability test come in.

there ARE alternatives..................... ever heard of Obedience trials, or Agility trials? The dogs get to spend the day together, and owners can network with each other. they're great social events.

I don't say stop the shows, but animals should be allowed to appear as they were born, not as humans decide they should be........... there;s no beauty in false looks atall, and cropping a dogs ears is equally disgusting and henious as tail docking.

cropping a dogs ears is equally disgusting and henious as tail docking.

i agree with that but thats completely different to taping for a couple weeks. jus cos you dont like it doesnt mean we have to use alternatives to what you dislike. though we do do those events as well.

if the ears are fully dropped and you have to tape the ears, I don't think it would qaulify as a show dog. I would either have it as a pet or working dog and definitely not breed it. If it was papered I would limit register it. otherwise it would be breaching the code of ethics,"breed primarily for the purpose of improving the quality and / or working ability of the breed in accordance with the breed standard, and not specifically for the pet or commercial market."

i agree with that its a wise statement...

Just curious, do you have to let prospective buyers know that you had to tape the ears? I dont see that there is anything wrong with it, doesnt seem cruel in anyway.

Maybe a bit vain of the judges to discriminate against floppy or pricked...has anyone ever seen that movie 'Best in Show'...compared to that Juliedamian, your doing nothing wrong..........sheesh...everyone is a bloody expert on this site.

i have no worries telling buyers i taped the ears heaps of breeders do, you dont HAVE to tell anyone but i dont see the problem in doing it so i dont mind telling anyone. thanks for ur comment. cheers allies_snakes

Taping the ears of an am staff, staff, is the same as a apbt. You can buy ear taping foam and tape etc on many sites online. Its funny the differing views on our canine friends and the ways in which they are judged. I Personally dont mind the cropped ears but that is a personal opinion and purely cosmetic, docked tails, with the breeds it is associated with it was often neccessary. I think there is nothing worse than seeing a rottie or a boxer with a tail. just seems wrong
What lines do you run if you dont mind me asking?

What do you think of this young fellas ears? His name is "Fat Tony"
14012008094-001.jpg

i think he is beautiful. his ear cartlidge looks to pull toward the centre of the head too but its cute with the floppy ears. if you want him just for pet i'd leave it as it gives him his own charactor.

If your gonna show him though i'd try setting them properly. he is a cutie i love amstaffs and pittys. :)

there is no amount of taping that will help you beat the people in the "know" of dog showing.. unforetunately it is not the bestdog that always wins but the best owner.. specialty judges different and they wil let slight ear misformation go over other conformation and judge the dogs on the overall apperance but even they are few and far between. lots of money and rep tied up in dog showing and can get an ugly sport and people will do harm to dogs to win.. a bit of tape will not hurt more painfull destroying it cause it was not what you wanted and do not be nieve that is what happens when dogs do not turn out.. probably more fair to try and breed that trait out rather than tape but eac to their own plenty of champion dogs out there with fake nuts and the like.
nice dogs by the way

Why not just breed for dogs with correct ears, and not breed for dogs with incorrect ears...

there is no amount of taping that will help you beat the people in the "know" of dog showing.. unforetunately it is not the bestdog that always wins but the best owner.. specialty judges different and they wil let slight ear misformation go over other conformation and judge the dogs on the overall apperance but even they are few and far between

there are always people who have been showing longer or more then someone elsebut we've had our fair share and still do so we do know about showing and what a judge is looking for, and it DOES help having a dog that looks the part as well as their movement.

a bit of tape will not hurt more painfull destroying it cause it was not what you wanted and do not be nieve that is what happens when dogs do not turn out..

well thats not what happens when our dogs do not turn out. i love our dogs weather it was perfect or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back