Teaching Kids Respect To Animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryW

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Warning: video depicting animal cruelty.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on treating a feeder rat like this.

I know that if my parents caught me doing thing, I'd have my **** kicked. If I was a parent, I'd be ashamed that I brought up my kids like this. What do you think? Should children be taught to respect animals at a young age?

I'm not watching the video because the last time I watched one with cases of animal abuse, I became vegetarian for almost a year. Not sure what they are doing to it but report it to the rspca if you feel it's cruelty. Given that we are legally abliged to feed rats which have been humanely euthanised, I'm sure they'll investigate.

absolutely disgusting behavior, i'm guessing the parents don't care enough to teach their kids to respect animals. I can't imagine the condition of the poor snake, I don't think 'rednecks' like that have the knowledge of how to properly care for any animal.
It's because of kids like these (and others i've seen) I just cringe when I see young children handling animals (when they are alone or with parents who don't care for the animal's wellbeing of course) but some kids are gentle with animals, which is refreshing to see.

What do you think? Should children be taught to respect animals at a young age?

Rhetorical?

I'm rapidly becoming desensitized to what is acceptable in todays society.

I do know what I think is acceptable behaviour though and that will never change.

The vid seems to have been removed.

Video has now been removed. Well thats what it says when I click on it anyway. I'm guessing live feeding or worse?

I think the majority of people who have animals would teach there kids the right thing. I don't think it was something i had to teach mine it should already be installed in them, the only thing word I've used is be gentle. Every time my youngest gets fed in his high chair he calls ove our eccie ( Dexter ) and they share his dinner. If this sought of cruel behavior is in kids i think its there for life.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Of course parents should teach their children to respect animals. That respect should not just extend to companion pet animals such as cats or dogs, but everything else in-between. But we all know that's not the case because people like to play favourites. I've met many people who claim to love all animals, but that love only goes so far as to so called cute and fluffy animals. While the general masses vehemently protest the mistreatment of a puppy or kitten, they wouldn't bat an eyelid if it were a snake or spider. I haven't seen the video but I guess it's probably kids either tormenting a rat or live feeding it to a snake. Depending on the age of the kids they may not have even learned respect yet. It takes time. Some people may never learn it.

A parent's influence isn't enough to shape a child's view of animals. When I was a kid my parents taught me to respect most animals. Unfortunately they were of the mind that a good snake is a dead snake and from a very early age they drummed it into my head, but it would seem to no avail. They didn't mind pythons, in fact, they welcomed them into the sheds. When found, they were something of a novelty and the whole family would come to view them. Venomous snakes on the other hand were to be killed on sight. Oddly enough, both my sister and I don't have this view. My sister's vegan and that explains enough. I'm no vegan but I respect and love them simply because I love reptiles. While I don't have a fondness for rodents I like to think that I treat my breeder rodents well enough. They have food, water, and shelter. When it comes to culling them I do it as quickly and painlessly as possible. Growing up on a farm you tend to have the same view towards animals raised for human consumption. You provide them with all the necessities and when the time comes you put them out as humanely as possible. It's not something I take joy in, nor do I hate it. You're taking a life to nourish another. There's no ceremony to it. I feel good enough knowing that the animals had a relatively stress free life. I don't understand it when people either take glee or offense from it.

Particularly in today's society, most people don't seem to understand the process. They go to the supermarket to buy a piece of steak, or the pet shop to buy pre-killed frozen rodents. They either don't know or don't care that it was once a living, breathing animal. I meet plenty of people who will happily eat a hunk of meat, but they get all squeamish and claim that they could never do the deed itself.

I'm not watching the video because the last time I watched one with cases of animal abuse, I became vegetarian for almost a year. Not sure what they are doing to it but report it to the rspca if you feel it's cruelty. Given that we are legally abliged to feed rats which have been humanely euthanised, I'm sure they'll investigate.
why aren't you veg anymore?

What do you really think everyone's thoughts are going to be?
This post has no place on any site used by animal lovers, I'm not sure what your intentions are with this or where you want to go with it.
The intention was to purge it from YouTube, because I do not like it when I am looking for snake videos, only for something like this in "suggested".

I haven't seen the video but I guess it's probably kids either tormenting a rat or live feeding it to a snake. Depending on the age of the kids they may not have even learned respect yet. It takes time. Some people may never learn it.

They were grabbing a feeder rat by the tail and swinging it around, hitting it against the aquarium and having a bit of a giggle while trying to shoot it with some kind of bb gun. That rat must have had quite the temperament, because he did not bite them. They seemed to be teens, 14-16.

Those kids sound like real gems.

It's not really surprising these days, I mean these are the times when baby dolphins suffocate while people take pictures with them for instagram etc.

My son has always been around animals of many varying types, with his first main interactions being with my cockatoo. As a result he has always been super dooper gentle, as we simply couldn't allow anything less with something as fragile as a bird.
He strokes them as if they're a card tower that'll break the moment he touches it, he isn't even 2, and has been gentle from the get go.
He was unfortunate enough to have a curious raven bite his finger instead of a strawberry in his hand during the brief time we had him, and he cried but didn't even lash out.

As a result he even pats the gigantic dogs of over 50kg with the same sense of fragility.

I actually have to remind myself not to rough pat the dogs so he doesn't copy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back