Tell us where the crocs are - Opposition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: 08-Nov-08 02:53 PM
Source: Reuters via NEWS.com.au

THE full details on all crocodiles released near popular tourist spots should be made public, the Queensland Opposition says.

Read More...

Hmm i wonder if they know that crocs can swim?

LOL surely they don't believe the crocs will remain within a km or so of where they are released. What about the one at Fraser Island? I actually didn't think crocs came down that far but where there is one, there's bound to be more.

Wished they had tagged and kept track of cats in the same way - we'd have them more under control now if they did.

When I first moved to Cairns there was some uppity liberal who decided it should be open season on crocs - there's just too many of them he said. With numbers like these we're going to lose tourists to these beasts. Every last one should be shot.

He went on to say that they were dangerous and people feared them.

But when tourists were asked if they feared the crocs most suggested they had come to the far north to see the crocs!!!

Crocodiles have been responsible for something like 42 deaths in the last 200 years (if that stat is wrong I apologise - but that was the last figure I heard - and there was that fellow in Cooktown who was eaten by a croc about a month ago now).

That statistic doesn't exactly make me quiver in my boots. I'm much more scared of crossing the road. Our road toll lin the first quarter of this year was much higher than that - in fact in 2005 I believe the road toll in Australia was over 1600!!!

Adequate signage, correct education, continual tourist enhancement of crocodile inhabited areas and awareness are what is needed - if that means telling people where the crocs are released then so be it - but as suggested - crocs do tend to move!

LOL surely they don't believe the crocs will remain within a km or so of where they are released. What about the one at Fraser Island? I actually didn't think crocs came down that far but where there is one, there's bound to be more.

From what i have seen, relociting problem crocs that are living in an area(not if they are just passing through) is a waste of time(apart from the good research they are doing). Crocs can travel a very long way and bascailly go where they want(often back home), if it does warm up enough they will come further south. It seems most crocs are shy of ppl and avoid living in built up areas, this is something we should try and maintain as it works well for both species.

With the tracking that is going on they will be able to work out effectve plans of dealing with crocs so both species can continue to live together at a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back