Temperatures for my Stimson???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Re: My recently purchased adult stimson.

I have a timber enclosure W100 x D60 x H44 which is heated by a 60w reflector red globe and controlled by a thermostat.

I am trying to get an ideal temperature gradient. Currently I am consistently getting between 22 to 24 degrees at the cool end, where I have a hide. Which I believe to be ideal.

At the warm end I have another hide and also a basking rock. I have been advised to get temperatures between 30 and 34. Is it best to get this temperature range in the hide itself or where she may bask on the rock?

The reason I ask is that; I can get the temperature to this range (30-34) where the rock is which means the temp in the hide only gets to 28. If I try to get the temp to 30-34 in the hide then the temp at the rock then exceeds 34 - is this then too hot if she wishes to bask there?

The reason I want to get some advice on this and get it right is that I haven't yet manged to get her to feed (only one refusal though) and I was told my temperatures were most probably too low for her to want to feed and getting the temp to 30-34 would help.

Maybe I am being too particular but as far as I understand temperature is very important, not least when trying to to get ideal conditions to feed.

Any advice and answers to paragraph highlighted in red would be much appreacited.

cheers
RB:?

you'll find that being a stimo they like to sit at the cold end most of the time anyway. 34 out side the hide should be plenty and the snake should do some self aclimatization. i find with my stimo that he only uses the hot end just after feeds.

sounds like the temp. is pretty good but i dont think basking rocks are too good for snakes but more so for lizards but the gradient for ur temp sounds ideal. if it likes the temp in the hide it will stay in there generally they will find a area of the cage tht they like.

you'll find that being a stimo they like to sit at the cold end most of the time anyway. 34 out side the hide should be plenty and the snake should do some self aclimatization. i find with my stimo that he only uses the hot end just after feeds.

Thanks v much - and do they prefer, when they go to the warm end, to hide or be out in the open under the heat source after a feed?

cheers
RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back