Temporarily marking Hatchling lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma123

Reaction score
Hey Guys I was wondering what people use to temporarily mark their hatchling lizards and would be safe to use on water dragons. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A permanent pen or clip their claws if it needs to last longer.

Personally I wouldn't be putting toxic nail polish anywhere near a dragons skin. Non-toxic kids textas may work, you might just have to re-apply it every couple of days is all.
There is also the problem of when they shed, working out who is who might be an issue.
You could take photos of their specific markings and use them to identify each one.
[doublepost=1521710056,1521709624][/doublepost]Another thought I just had was UV body paint. Surely it is less toxic than nail polish and a bit of fun too.

What is the reason for marking them? That would be a useful to get better advice.

people mark them so they know which reptiles are sold and to whom.Also some mark them to identify sex etc.
Plus a guy who shared my table at a couple of expos used the markings to quickly identify hypo's,leatherbacks & from other people's dragons he was selling on their behalf

Last edited:
What is the reason for marking them? That would be a useful to get better advice.

Mostly for identification. I’m also curious about the different ways people I’d them.

At work uses visual identifications like missing digits, but they also use black and blue markers marking different limbs

Mostly for identification. I’m also curious about the different ways people I’d them.
Another simple thing you can do with many reptiles (and other animals) is just take pics, reptiles with obvious markings will have unique variations that are pretty easy to tell apart if you are not dealing with very large numbers.

Another simple thing you can do with many reptiles (and other animals) is just take pics, reptiles with obvious markings will have unique variations that are pretty easy to tell apart if you are not dealing with very large numbers.
that doesn't always work,my first year of breeding just 1 pair of central and 1 pair of pygmy beardies I had 145 & 48 hatchies. I didn't need to mark them but you can imagine the drama trying to tell that many apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back